What is your best IF landing?

Hey there!
I have been here a long time on IF and all this time, I have always considered landing to be the best part of the flight. So I was just curious to see what you all think of as your best landing. It may the smoothest or the most professional, whatever you find is most important in a landing.
Please share your views and comments on this!

3 Likes

A good landing is one you can walk away from

Well, I think being smooth is definitely not the most important part of a landing. For example, I could do a -5 and touch down half way down the runway, resulting in a runway overrun. It’s not to say you smash it down onto the runway, but making sure you’re de crabbed, on the centreline, aiming for the touchdown markers and ensuring you have sufficient runway to stop are the most important factors. And then, you can try and be smooth.

11 Likes

I’ve got no idea how to answer this. Cool idea though.

2 Likes

I think a good landing is on touchdown zone at -300 and centerline.

3 Likes

One nice landing I enjoyed was landing my TBM in VNPK after two going around. I am not good at landing visual with late 90 deg turns, so I was please to manage a safe landing in this nice place.
More generally, I am happy when the landing is about right in terms of centerline, touch down zone and V/S, particularly when there were some difficulty (approach or wheather).

1 Like

Well it was actually this week during the exteme wind in europe, i managed it to land with A320 on the centerline and nearly to the touchdown zone. It was almost smooth, i had big smile on my face hahah.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Evenezer_S! PM or reply to me or anyone here if you need anything at all, we’re happy to help!

And as for my landings, I’m average. Not good, not bad. Used to have -400 VS landings when I used APPR all the time, now I don’t use it as much, so my landings are a bit better (-200 VS).
But my best all time is a Dash-8 landing on solo, it was about -75 VS, — well, somewhere near that number, that was a long time ago.

7 Likes

Since the update a few months ago, I have ditched APPR mode altogether. I have had a recent issue with the plane’s wheels coming within a few feet of the runway and just holding there, leading to near-overruns. This is especially common on the A350 and B737. Although, I am slowly learning to harness it and have regained most of my competence in my landings.

2 Likes

2 Likes

How’d you convert your video to a gif? Thanks.

2 Likes

Best one would probably be around -2500/-2600

3 Likes

You can use a video of a landing, then use imgflip gif maker to convert it into a gif. I do this because I don’t have a YouTube channel.

2 Likes

My best landing was at LSZH Zurich in a Swiss A321. My landing vs was taken by IFOperations and my VS was -7ft/s.

1 Like

Hmmmm I mean most of my landings are greasers but there was this one particular landing into KBOS from Canada in the 738.

Oof

My best is about -50fpm at KGJT (duh) with the Q400.

1 Like

A340 last night at JFK was one of my best and im average and always use APPR until 800ft.

But a great one, is one where you can use the plane again

3 Likes

Anytime the passengers clap I figure it wasn’t half bad…🤷🏻‍♂️ Usually in the 787…

1 Like

I managed to get -143 in the 747 - which isn’t bad given the 747 is a pain to try and do a smooth touchdown in…

1 Like

I smell Air Baltic

3 Likes