What is VOR navigation?

Thank you, this new update is really confusing to me.

2 Likes

This should help,
https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/avionics-control-panel-explained/384752

That links explains what the controls are but not how and why it is used in flight.

6 Likes

thanks for the reply, but I already looked through that thread. It throws around a bunch of terms
I don’t understand. I don’t even understand the purpose of vor navigation, and that tutorial doesnt really explain it. also im kind of stupid lol so i need a REALLY dumbed down version

1 Like

thank you! What is a ga? (sorry im kind of dumb) and also does that mean that most commercial flights will just use waypoints on a map? Again thanks for the reply.

@comeflywithme. MaxSez: The Link explains VHF (VOR) Omini Nav.
Google is your friend. (Flight plans are just course plots and are not type of Nav Type specific. Suggest you download a copy of the free “Airplane Flying Handbook” Free from faa.gov Max

(GA=General Aviation… non- commercial light aircraft, the handbook will answer all your questions)

1 Like

Yeh most commercial flights just use waypoints (but VORs can act as waypoints as well)

Ga is general aviation so little aircraft such as the c172

1 Like

oh thanks. I know some terms, just the abbreviations that get me lol. thanks a lot for the reply!

1 Like

VORS are a an easy way to get direct to an airport. Usually used by light aircraft. Nowadays a flight plan is filed with appropriate STARs (Standard Terminal Arrival Routes) to guide the planes into the runway. We don’t exactly have STARs in Infinite Flight yet, so we use waypoints. Hope this makes sense.

1 Like

VOR (VHF-Omni Directional Range) was accepted in 1960 by the ICAO as a short range navigation aid.
It produces bearing information aligned usually with magnetic north at the VOR site.
VOR’s are often used for:
a) Marking the beginning, end or centreline of airways.
b) A let down aid at airfields to form part of published procedures.
c) As a holding point.
d) A source of en-route navigation
During flight a position can also be confirmed by VOR and traditionally this was used by pilots who’s aircraft had less sophisticated FMS to confirm position and the extent of gyroscopic drift they were experiencing and correct course accordingly.

1 Like

…basically that. I didn’t want to go too much in detail or I’d sound like a Wikipedia page.

2 Likes

If you use fpltoif.com you can get the waypoints of the STAR included in your flight planđź‘Ť

1 Like

This also might be a good watch. Captain Joe did a video on VORs.

2 Likes

alright thanks. So does that mean that if there is a vor in the center of an airport I can “tune in” to a visual approach or a gps approach? And I don’t want to open up a new topic, but how would you fly a gps approach after the update, because right now when I intercept one I have to kind of eyeball when to turn and it is never exact.

yeah, I know about stars, I just usually pretend and make do with waypoints. or if I am flying a common route, I copy and paste one from the internet (like NY to london for example). I mostly fly commercial routes like these and a STAR update would probably be the most useful one for me.

Got it, thanks :)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.