What is the scariest go around you have done?

I have had lots of go around one of my scariest was one that happened pretty recently I forgot I was flying a GPS approach and set my device down for a second and almost nose dived into the ground but pulled up and was going to fast to land safely

1 Like

Thank you for that didn’t even notice the mistake until you pointed that out:)

I got ghosted by @art_martinez back in 2015 when doing it improperly (I almost got kicked from a newborn IFAE when that happened). My mind was still developing into the mind I have today, so my 13-year old self was indeed quite rusty

6 Likes

Had to call a go around at WMKK a couple of days ago on ES with ATC. AC on the RW took time to get into TO roll. Not scary really but should not happen on ES with ATC.

2 Likes

I once did an AC@KSFO

Approaching 28L (or I thought I was) in low visibility and me being me I tried to manually land it. At 100ft I saw I was heading for the line of planes waiting for takeoff to the left of the runway. Went to TOGA thurst and passed 20ft above a 747…

Yeah and this was on expert lol

1 Like

I did a rl go around because a big bunch of birds. Didn’t want to do the Scully experience

2 Likes

Done very few go around, strangely enough the odd times I have done it has been on ES under IFATC when they have placed someone on the runway and delayed giving them takeoff instructions!

1 Like

Just today actually. I was on emergency fuel at Rome, only approach and ground frequency online. This pilot just had to choose to takeoff when I was 20sec from touchdown.
I went around and managed to land with 2 min of fuel left. The pilot got ghosted later on

1 Like

Most times (not all times) on ES it’s the fault of the AC on the runway cleared for takeoff. Some people don’t understand what ‘immediate’ is. If you really take you time while cleared for immediate takeoff while one on final, there’s a good chance of being ghosted

2 Likes

I can relate a bit with @BennyBoy_Alpha I was doing KIND-LFPG and there was very little visibility in Paris (I forget exactly what is was) and let’s no forget B767 doesn’t have APPR so I had to hand fly the approach. I was about half way down the runway when I finally saw it but it was too late to land. Needless to say I got the plane down in the touchdown area the second attempt.

Going around at 06 up at Tenzing-Hillary/Lukla Airport is always pretty scary ;)

6 Likes

Every go around I have ever done is scary.

I’ve only done one go around, but it was at 400 feet so it wasn’t that scary. However, I’ve seen planes land behind me while I’m still going 60 knots on the runway, in expert. So the fact that they didn’t go around is scary 😂

I think it was today lol,

I was landing after a long-haul event with LOT va.

I was landing with a LOT 787 at KLAX and when flaring I forgot I left speed (Autopilot) on 145
I tried to flare but started climbing then I noticed I passed the touchdown zone and also my plane was half off the runaway (I was 20ft AGL) then I put TOGA and I descended to 5ft AGL before the plane started rapidly climbing to the air!
I did a -232fpm landing after the go-around though. Satisfied

I did one at LGA, I was landing Runway 4 and the winds were so bad I did a Go Around and landed at JFK instead.

I was landing at KLGA and there was a glitch where it would only let me touch down at 500ft and after two touch and goes and a go around I decided to divert to JFK so I just went to TOGA and caused someone else to go around because I snuck in front of the other aircraft this was on Training server but the controller didn’t see what happened

1 Like

oof. I will admit I’ve made some people mad when I did a go around

Look at you now.Media manager for IFAE.

My most scariest go around I ever did was when I was 2 mile final and an aircraft was on the runway and my landing gear barley hit the other aircraft.It was a very close call

2 Likes

The controller has just left so the airport (MMMX) had no ATC all of a sudden. Someone decided it would be a great idea to cross the runway as I was over the blast pad. Almost had a mid air collision on that same approach as well.

1 Like

Awesome picture it reminds me of those thumbnails for those go around plane spotting videos