What is the safe distance to land behind an aircraft?

Hey guys,
I was flying with my friend from LCA to DOH today.
There was this other pilot between us. He flew 2/3NM behind from 10.000 feet until final. In my opinion he had to go-around but he didn’t. Once I landed i hurried my self off the runway to make it clear for him to land. everything went safe. But still I didn’t like that he was so close to me.
I feel like at least 4/5 nm is a safe distance to land between 2 aircrafts.
What are your options let me know ?

3 Likes

The separation minimum between planes should be 3 nautical miles laterally, and 1,000 feet vertically. It would appear that until 10,000 feet, assuming that the plane behind you was at the same altitude as you, was losing separation with you.

As for spacing between planes that are arriving, it’s fairly simple. The spacing is needed such that the plane ahead must be clear of the runway before the plane behind crosses the threshold. There is no set distance that ATC abides by, given that speed can change a lot between planes (Think of the Cessna and the B737, for example).

3 Likes

It really depends on aircraft type, 4-5 nm seems right to me as far as creating a safe space and environment for the aircraft ahead. However, you shouldn’t have to hurry and get off the RWY unrealistically, aircraft behind should go around if there’s an aircraft on the RWY.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. For your explanation. In this case he should have gone around then. When I was off the runway he was 2nm away from me.

2 nm from you exiting RWY is plenty of space. I wouldn’t have gone around.

1 Like

Yeah… but that was because I went 40 kts to get over the there threshold. If i exit the runway like you normally do ( on a exit taxiway ) he would have landed on the runway while I was on the runway. But it’s okey I just wanted to know if he did anything wrong in this situation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.