What is the Glideslope, where can I find it, and how do I know?

Hey everyone,
I wanted to make my flights even more realistic, and I think a good way to do this is by increasing my knowledge about aviation and flight mechanics. So, this brings me to my questions today.
What is the glideslope?
Where can I find the glideslope on my screen?
How do I know when I have intercepted the glideslope?
If you could show a screenshot of the glideslope on your screen and point it out to me, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!

If you tune into the ILS, you’ll be able to see a green dot appear on your HUD, and it’ll show you how far off the glidescope you are. A standard glidescope is around 3 degrees, with the top of the localizer being at around 3500ft, so at around 10nm out from the runway, you’ll want to be at 3000ftAAL and so on and so forth.

1 Like

Where will the “green dot” be?
Do you mean 3000AGL?
Thanks!

Hey there! Please see this section of the Infinite Flight User Guide:

It’s gonna be 3000AAL. Per section 6.10.6 of the ATC Manual, the altitude measurement used is AAL

That green diamond is the glideslope

Okay, and do I want to keep that even with the arrow next to it?

how do i get AAL? is it the same as AGL?

If you want to have a field day reading about the glidescope and its altitudes, check out the ILS Approach section @lucaviness linked as well as this part from the ATC Manual

1 Like

Hi @charrison, first of all I would like to link the IF User Guide which can help you to learn many things about IF and flying in general:

Secondly let’s talk about the questions you mentioned. The word glideslope generally refers to a vertical profile of an approach (e.g. an ILS approach). It will lead you from the initial approach fix to the runway.

On a chart this looks like this:

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

1 Like

Exactly. If it is too higher than the arrow, then you have to climb. If it’s lower, you have to descend.

AAL is the Above Aerodome Level.

AAL is altitude Above Aerodrome Level, so to find out what it is, tap the airport’s dot, and you’ll see how high the airport elevation is, and from there, just do simple addition.

Heavens, me @JulianB. Coming in with a fully-fledged lecture! Amazing work!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the nice words! :)

1 Like

What do I have to add?

@ToasterStroodie is referring to the 3000feet above airport elevation, which is about the altitude where a standard 3° (ILS) approach glideslope is at the beginning of the cone displayed on the map.

As a rule of thumb: To get an appropriate interception altitude you take the airport’s elevation and add about 3000 feet. The exact, realistic interception altitude can be found on charts as seen in my reply above or even in some of the procedures in IF.

slowly takes away your PPL

It is a indication to aid pilots in descending toward the runway. It tells you if you are too high or too low, and where you should be in terms of altitude.

On your hud screen, next to the altitude, it will display as a green dot/diamond next to where the aircraft should be.

Here, you can see my green dot is bang on my current altitude, so I am at a perfect height. If the dot starts to go up relative to your altitude, you are getting too low. If it starts going down relative to your altitude, you are getting too high.
If you are using the live cockpits in the aircraft that have it, where you find the dot is slightly different, but it is usually the same idea of follow the green/pink dot/diamond.

Always approach the glideslope from below. Livel off or descend slowly, and let it catch up to you. When the dot passes your current altitude, that’s when you have intercepted it and now follow it down to the runway.

Hope this helps!

Edit: sorry this took so long to send :)

1 Like

What @JulianB said. You take the airport elevation, and then at around 10nm out, you tack on 3000ft, and at 5nm out, make sure you’re at 1500ft AAL. Generally a V/S of about -900 to -1100 ft/min will help you maintain that -3 degree descent rate (of course, V/S depends on the speed you’re going at).

1 Like