What is the difference between SVFR and MVFR?

Hello community.I am back explaining some basic aviation terms.Recently, I have seen some community members get confused with SVFR and MVFR. So with that, we are gonna talk about SVFR and MVFR. What does SVFR stand for? SVFR stands for Special Flight Rules. Special VFR flight is a VFR flight cleared by air traffic control to operate within a control zone in meteorological conditions below visual meteorological conditions. In the daytime, you must have at least 1 statue of flight visibility and clear of clouds. At night, you must have an instrument rating as pilot in command and an IFR certified airplane. Now lets talk about MVFR. What does MVFR stand for? MVFR stands for Marginal Visual Flight Rules. If an airport is MVFR then it has ceilings from 1,000 feet to 3,000 feet and/or 3 to 5 miles visibility. VFR flights are permitted in this weather. As you can conclude, SVFR and MVFR are NOT the same thing. If you have any questions, fill free to comment below.

Mods…Fill free to move.

9 Likes

I understand now… lol

1 Like

Good. I like when I can help fellow IFC members out

1 Like

Very good topic . Nice explanations

1 Like

Good explanation. I’ve looked for topics that answered this exact question on other aviation forums, but never got one I understood. This was crystal clear.

@N1RG may I also as that patterns are still allowed at the airport of the field is MVFR. The field is still VFR but just marginally.

2 Likes

Thanks Reed. If you have any other topics that you want me to talk about, let me know

1 Like

Very useful topic! Should help clear all this up.

I’m not sure whether this should be #general or #real-world-aviation as we don’t have SVFR…

I wasn’t sure either. I just saw someone say things wrong so I thought I would clear it up.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.