What is frequency change?

So I now have enough xp to go on playground server. For the first flight I did pattern work at KLAX. Okay so what is frequency change and what is it for? Do you do it if you are landing at a different airport?

1 Like

Frequency changes are necessary when flying from controlled airport to controlled airport. You can change frequency by tapping the headset icon on the left of your screen and navigating the atc menu to find a list of frequencies close to you. Chances are you will start your flight on the ground. The following is in the event that all frequencies are occupied. First you will be on ground frequency. The controller of the frequency will give you taxi instructions to a runway for take off. Once you reach the hold short line for the runway you have been instructed to taxi to you will then change frequencies to tower. You do not need to ask for a frequency change in this instance. Once you are on tower you would ask for take off and once cleared would enter the runway and accelerate up to v1. Once safely in the air you should be instructed to contact departure. Switch to departure by clicking the acknowledge handoff and switch button. Once on departure you will receive vectors up to your cruising altitude. Once above 18,000ft you will contact center. Center will guide you at your cruising altitude to a safe distance from your destination airport to begin descent. Once below 18,000ft you would be instructed to contact approach. Approach will give you vectors for the ils/gps approach for the runway in use at your destination airport. Once established on the intercept for the ils the controller will say “aircraft 1, maintain 4,500 until established on the localizer, cleared lis runway 35 approach”. Shortly after the controller will give you the command “aircraft 1, contact Canberra tower on 118.7”. You will then use the command acknowledge handoff and switch. Once on the tower frequency you would say “aircraft 1 is inbound on the ils for runway 35 and Canberra”. Once cleared to land you do not say anything more to tower unless calling a go around. When you touch down the controller should give an exit runway command. “Aircraft 1, exit runway when able, contact ground when on the taxiway”. Once you are off the runway you use the headset icon to switch to ground and say “aircraft 1, request taxi to parking”. Once you receive clearance to park you are done talking to the atc. Taxi to your parking spot and stop. If you want to fly again simply request a pushback then request taxi to an active runway. I hope this helped. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. Have a good time of the playground server and I look forward to seeing you in advanced when you get 25k!
-Mason Hardage
Advanced ATC

10 Likes

https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/how-to-properly-change-frequency-when-an-active-controller-can-not-hand-you-off-to-another-controller/14313?u=carson

This may help too!

1 Like

Thank you so much

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

And what do u do if it is a short route.So short that if u wait for him(person who sends u to cruise),u need to execute a go-around.

The departure controller can see how far away your airport is and will not bring you up above 18k if the airport is close. He will just switch you to approach when you are near the airport. If you need any help feel free to private message me. :)

Do ATCs a favour. Don’t ask for frequency change when taxiing on ground and you want to switch to tower. When ATC directs you to a runway, they will have cleared you to contact tower, eg. “Delta X, taxi to runway 24L, contact tower when ready”. All you have to do is tap back to available frequencies and select tower, eg: Palm Springs tower (129.75)

Good luck

For for my first flight, unknowingly I did ask permission when switching from ground to tower

IMO there shouldn’t be “frequency change” button exist in pilot menu. It’s just way of clugging up the radio. When the times comes ATC should ask you to change frequency. If you don’t receive such command change it yourself. You might ask what happen if I change frequency without ATC order? In that case you’ll get “warning msg” to tune back. Still you don’t follow you’ll get ghosted. And what about playground server? If pilots don’t tune in, What happens? Nothing. It’s like that. just keep sending him warning msg ;)

1 Like

Just for info. Only one place you can ask frequency change is when you are flying VFR flight following.

Don’t know what the response was, but I will give a command to contact tower. As @Jaden_Bezzel says above, some will send a command ‘you were already instructed to change frequencies’. Since Playground is regarded as a training server, I’m patient when I do ATC there. I’m also practicing you know

“You are all ready instructed to change frequency or You are already cleared to land” is no way rude in a sense. It’s just telling the people that it’s unnecessary. Also that would give them some aspect of how the ATC service work. It might sound bit straight forward for non English speakers but it doesn’t mean that way. (Maybe they should add ‘sorry’ in the front :D)

1 Like