What is a transtion?

Ok, first of all, do not send me the user guide. I’m reaching out to the IFC because I do not understand the transition stuff.

If someone would explain it clearly to me and in some detail that would be great.

It’s basically flying over the airfield.

Allow me to go into a deep explanation as @RoyalJordanian had to teach this to me :)

Stand By as I write a essay

3 Likes

https://infiniteflight.com/guide/atc-manual/3.-tower/3.4-pattern-work-transitions-flight-of-xx

3.4.2 of the ATC Manual explains it pretty well. Hard to reinvent the wheel with the explanation.

2 Likes

Hey there!

Basically it’s flying over the tower’s airspace on an certain altitude.

Here’s an example of a transition formula

Airport’s Altitude + 1,500 feet + 1,000 feet = Your altitude for the transition . So in that case, PGAA’s airport altitude is about 690 ft so I’d add that and add 1,500 feet + 1,000 feet, I’d get 2,500 feet. But then, I’m not done. I have to round UP to the nearest 500. Then you get 3,000 feet. Which is your transition altitude.

4 Likes

Never Mind! @MJP_27 and @Trio to the rescue but now i dont have to write a essay :)

If you still dont understand here is a simple answer:
It allows adequate spacing between pattern aircraft and low flying aircraft in the above airspace.

This has more information aswell!

2 Likes

Also thought it was worth pointing out; ‘transition’ has a few definitions in aviation

2 Likes

@Cody_M is very correct in his statement. For example: when Tower gives you clearance for takeoff and states 'cleared for take-off, fly runway heading until at 1000 ft (or 3000 or 5000 ft), it is your responsibility as a pilot once you’ve reached and are maintaining the indicated altitude to then ask for a transition/departure to either North, South, East or West.

This is, of course, if a specified SID is not selected during your pre-flight. VFR Rules apply.

2 Likes

Or establishing yourself on an IF for an IAP

2 Likes

Si, c’est vrai 😉

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.