What is a Good Airport for Adrenaline Seekers?

What airport would you say is not for the faint-hearted pilots out there? Where is the most challenging and scary place to land In your opinion?

I’m not talking about somewhere that has regular commercial service from jets, I’m talking about somewhere hidden between mountains that only a few people have visited.

3 Likes

Could be anywhere. I’d bet that there’s thousands of airports around the globe that would contend for that spot.

Lukla has a heart-stopping approach for many pilots.

1 Like

While serviced by jets, you could try Aspen. Tenzing-Hillary Airport (the gateway to Mt Everest) is a lot of fun and serviced by prop planes.

1 Like

St. Barth’s (TFFJ) was suggested to me by @Wiggygodsky. It has a steep hill right before landing.

2 Likes

Ah, yes… good ol’ TFFJ.

If you don’t pitch down enough, you land too far and end up in the ocean.

If you pitch down too much, you fly into a steep hill and probably a street with lots of people on it.

2 Likes

KMMH 27 takeoffs are fun, MMOX is a neat airport, KSBS (not HDN) is a little hairy, but PHLU, Kalaupapa airport on North shore Molokai is absolutely incredible.
2700 footer, on the little peninsula that has the old leper colony, at the base of 2000 foot cliffs. When the winds pick up, the rock beaches on either side of the runway get battered by waves, blasting spray up 40 feet into the air just short for the threshold.
Absolutely stunning little airport with so much history.

4 Likes

Try bush landing ,yestrday i did landing in alps monte rosa glacier,and make it spicy and fly expert server

1 Like

Most the airports in southeast Alaska.

4 Likes

if your a bit too lazy try KSFO and try to get a parallel approach hehe

SEQM or Quito has a fun approach with all the close mountains :)

If you want an Adrenalin rush, go to Alaska! The bush flying there can be really intense — the weather changes in mere minutes. And landing on 50 foot stretches of landing strip, some of the bush pilots do it everyday! If you like mountains, great! The state has 4 mountain ranges (I think). If you want a non commercial airport, and get an adrenalin rush, just go anywhere in Alaska!

2 Likes

Airports cramped in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

Lukla comments intensifies

1 Like

There’s a ring of small fields around Ranier. Fantastic approaches through crevices.

1 Like

VQPR is for me the hardest airport to do an approach. Its surrounded by high mountains in the himalayas. I’ve approached there multiple times and I always nearly crash when on final.

1 Like

I think we have a couple more than that. The most notable that I can think of off the top of my head are the Brooks Range, Alaska Range, Chugach Mountains, and possibly a couple others that I forget the names of.

2 Likes

Yeah, Ketchikan is a hard one. I did that the other day. It’s mainly difficult on the sides of the runway, so you have to kinda go straight in.

1 Like

Try Innsbruck. I only say those two words when people want hard approaches.

3 Likes

Hard approaches are the best. Most in IF are too easy!

1 Like

Sarajevo, in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Situated in the mountains.

1 Like