What inspired your passion for aviation?

Just the fact that i never actually see any planes were i live, but when i do, im just…just WOW!!!

2 Likes

my dad. has more than 20.000 hours. I wanted so much to become a commercial pilot, but as i’m colorblind, Argentine air forces only let me reach for PPL. My dad suffer a lot my impossibility to be a commercial pilot so he took me to so many flights of his own, simulators, etc. Aviation is in my family since i was born and will always be.

After high school i done my PPL, flew a lot with my dad and friends but as i couldn’t continue that career y left flying (expensive just for hobby) i left it and studied Industrial Engineer. Flying at that time also made me feel sad as i knew there was no future there. Talked to my dad and probably this year will do the medical test required so i can activate my ppl back, miss my PA11 days

1 Like

I’m inspired by the fact and logic of an aluminum can going 500 mph 35,000 feet in the air.

5 Likes

Hahahaha outstanding reason

1 Like

If you’ve been to LAX, out in the road in between TBIT and Terminal 3 there is an open section where there are 3 TBIT gates, and you see planes taxi in and out. I wasn’t in the terminal.

2 Likes

Getting those small funplanes every time I flew 😂

1 Like

I was born with it and listening and seeing Bob Hoover perform aimed me in the direction I want to go

1 Like

I feel your pain! I too wanted to live the airliner pilot dream, but found out I was colourblind and that was the end of it.

Aviation can be cruel like that - you can literally have unlimited $$ and natural talent, yet still be grounded.

I will tell you what, it sure does make you move on to plan B and earn as much as you can to get your PPL and other fun stuff like gliding - it’s way too addictive.

My earliest memory of liking planes was when I went to Gatwick when I was about 7, and my Dad and me watched the planes taking off from 08R sat on top of his Ford Transit van right up against the perimeter fence.
The was 1990ish so the airport security was relaxed, and you could park right up by the perimeter fence - plus this was the era of 737-200s, 747-200s, DC10s and other stupidly noisy and dirty airliners.

Ever since then I’ve been hooked :)

2 Likes

Mine is kinda funny.

When I was 6 years old I told everyone that I knew what all of the planes in the sky were. I would see a plane 30,000 feet up in the air and say it was a “Boeing 671 Supersonic Aircraft” or something. Then one day we went to see some friends that we hadn’t seen in a long time. The park we meet at was near the airport, so I started showing off that I knew what all of the landing planes were. Then it turned out that one of the friends actually knew what they were. I was so embarrassed but that inspired me to actually know what they were. I bought tons of books, started watching plane spotting videos on YouTube, and even using Flightrader24. I got more and more into the subject and have never let go since.

4 Likes

Well my first was to Hawaii, but I was four at the time and the first flight I can remember I was six or seven we went to Jamaica. I remember getting up at at least 4:00am are flight was at 6:00am we got into the airport and it was dead quite its a smaller regional airport.

So its not going to be large at all anyways. We went through security and right there was the gate. I saw a small CRJ-200 it is a beautiful bird. We are going to Atlanta to are connection and as I saw walked up I saw the plane and was very satisfied.

Ever sense then I am still flying and loving aviation.

2 Likes

I was always envious of the freedoms of a bird. I also developed a love for driving anything that needed an operator. Then I took my first flight, and was hooked!

3 Likes

My Grandad worked for Rolls Royce in Derby building Aircraft power plants. He was lucky enough to work on the Concorde Olympus 593 engines. He used to take me spotting before security was heavily tightened, we visited the viewing decks at Birmingham and East Midlands on a regular basis. We also went to Heathrow a few times. That sparked my passion for aviation.

1 Like

Or there’s the park near In and Out by LAX that’s fun to watch planes take off and land. Lincoln Blvd or Manchester Blvd also has absolutely terrific views!

1 Like

Ahh a paramedic; I too want to be one, aside from being a pilot of course ;)

1 Like

Video of a South African 747 landing

1 Like

The sound the 777 GE90’s make while takeoff.

1 Like

It all started when MH370 crashed. I started watching aviation documentary. I started watching videos on aviation. I was looking for a realistic sim and came across IF. I got and was horrible. I started watching more aviation and got better but not good. I took a brief break but eventually came back. I learned alot and became able to land a real 707 simulator. Now today im a huge aviation nerd.

One time, when I was 11 years old, I was bored so I decided to watch TV. I saw that Air Crash Investigation was on. I had no idea what it was but I watched it. The episode that was on was that Manx2 flight that crashed at EICK. I guess it just picked up from there. There is something magical about aviation that just fascinates me and then I found this community and found out that I wasn’t alone.

1 Like

Well, this goes back a while. I always loved planes. Just the feeling of lifting off the ground, and leaving all of your worries behind. When I was 3, I was always excited to go in planes because I would get to play games with my parents, but I always got the window seat. When I started looking out the window and understanding what was happening at age 4, I was terrified. I always had my dad hold onto my lap when we were taking off and landing. Finally, when I was around 6, I decided to go without my dad holding me, and it felt great! I wasn’t afraid and I loved the sensation. In first grade, my teacher had to send an email to my parents about how the only thing I would write about and draw were airplanes. As I got to 8 years old, I started not wanting to be a pilot because I knew there was lots of school involved. I got into mobile flight sims when I was 10, because I had just gotten my first iPod touch! I started playing really unrealistic sims, and at age 12, It all got started. At age 12 I finally decided I was gonna a pilot, so my parents bought me and introductory flight, and I was terrified, but I loved it! I demanded my parents find an aviation camp, and they did. I went to Florida for camp 2 months after my first flight. But what was really important, was the flight there. I went up to the cockpit of the 717-200 and met up with the pilot. He let me sit down in the captains seat for 30 minutes, even after the door was closed! He even offered me the chance of doing the preflight announcements, to which I refused. After the flight, he came back to me and gave me 3 things that I still have. Delta wings, his Card, and the entire preflight briefing! The camp was also great. Ground school! I came home and told my parents “I want to be a pilot”. They got me lessons and here I am. But the thing that introduced me to aviation the most, is the Infinite Flight Community.

1 Like

Concorde and the 747