What inspired your passion for aviation?

Were you out and about and then all of a sudden a jet soars over your head on final? Was your family taking a Disney vacation and you were fascinated by the plane you took there? Was it Jay Jay the Jet Plane?

Whatever the reason may be, post it down below.

I think mine was an interest that I picked up as a little kid, and it got fueled by the flights I take almost yearly down to South Florida to visit my grandparents and other relatives. My first flight was in 2011 when I was 9.

13 Likes

Flying on a $40 flight on an American 767-300

10 Likes

I just like being able to get places fast.

3 Likes

My passion began when I was around 5, I’m now 27. My family and I at lived quite a distance away from other family and the only reasonable way of getting with them was by air travel. As a kid, and still today, I was always amazed by the views that one gets to see when 35,000ft.+ above the ground. We also travelled for vacation a couple times per year. The things that you get to see from the air gives you a different perspective on the features of the Earth. This also greater appreciation for those that spent the hardworking and long hours to create an aircraft to give us that opportunity. I have fulfilled my childhood dreams and now consider my job as my passion and a hobby rather than a “job”. “If you love what you do, you’ll never have to work another day in your life.” That is how I live my every day to day life.

7 Likes

I was interested from a very young age. Being a military child, I had been around planes since birth. My earliest memories are of driving with my dad down the flight line of Anderson AB Guam, and seeing the massive B-52 and B-1s, or the Japanese F-4s, and standing on the roof of the Weather OSS building in at Travis AFB and seeing countless C-5s and KC-10’s for what seemed to be miles, or the constant C-130 pattern work overhead in Ramstein AB, Germany. I remember I could see any aircraft overhead, and name everything about it, at age 6. I lived and breathed planes.
However, when we left the military in 2014, that love diminished. In Colorado, we don’t have that constant background noise anymore. I always said that if we ever left the military, that is one thing I wouldn’t miss. But I did.
But it all came back when I traveled to Los Angeles International Airport.
I had traveled to LA many times before, but always either drive or flow elsewhere, like Ontario or Santa Ana. However, the day we wanted to fly, cheapest was out of LAX.
We got thier very early do to traffic fears. There was no one. To kill time, we walked over from Terminal one to TBIT. And there, rounding the corner and coming straight toward us was an Alitalia 777. I vividly remember the look of that massive jet looking straight at me, what felt like 10 feet away. I had seen and flown on a triple 7 before, but for some reason, this was special. Before it could turn in and pull into it’s gate, the pilot waved at me. It made my day. And ever science then, yet again, I was hooked.

Sorry, got a little sentimental on that one.

12 Likes

It was awesome reading your story. I don’t know if this is a good or bad thing, but I suppose it depends on who you ask, but I was always drawn to the smell of jet fuel. 😳 Haha. I still have all of my brain cells, but I was always attracted to turbine powered aircraft because of the unique smell. Its quite different than that of a piston running off 100LL.

7 Likes

Since I was little I was fascinated by planes and loved being inside them.

2 Likes

My mom started off as a ramp agent for United back when she lived in Albuquerque, and after a while she switched over to Delta where she works now… although she went from ramp agent to ACS agent to flight attendant today (she’s going to retire in a few years, though). Having to have been able to fly and live with someone near planes is awesome.

3 Likes

Always loved traveling. Than at the age of 8 got into live atc and flightware. Slowly as the years progressed starting reading about airplanes ans what makes than fly. Over the next 10 years my family and I would continue to travel and with many cockpit visits and talking to local pilots I finally wanted to get a pilots license.so here goes my story, one Sunday afternoon around dinner time my dad’s friend called my mom and asked if I wanted to go fly in his airplane so went to the local field and hopped in his piper arrow. After about an hour of jjstc flying and touching the controls we landed back and did a little debrief. The next day I told my parents I wanted to get my PPL. So after 3 months of trying to find an instructor no one would take me cause I was 15, we finally found an instructor and went flying. After my intro flight. I continued my PPL training with lessons once a week and as I got closer to solo it was more often. 9 days before my 17th birthday I soloed a C152 and built my solo hours. Than I finally did my solo CC and it was time to take my Written. After that I took my checkride and on September 30th, 2016 I passed my PPL at the age of 18. With now over 150 hours logged and working on my commercial/ Insturment rating af HSU I hope to get an airline job

3 Likes

Great topic you have here. I actually wrote up a story a while back that pretty much answers this question. Check it out here: https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/my-story-from-spotter-to-airport-bum/88995/17

4 Likes

What also got me interested in aviation is just seeing how massive aircraft are. Even a 737 is giant.

3 Likes

I vividly remember my first conscious memory of the airport. I was in my car seat and my parents were dropping off my aunt and uncle. They opened the sliding car door Toby let me hug them goodbye. I remember smelling the jet fuel and being captivated by it.
To this day jet fuel is one of the most beautiful smells. Don’t ask me why. Maybe it’s because I think of aircraft and airports and Frontier whenever I smell it. Even cars that use diesel and produce that airport smell make me think of airports.
Another thing was the whole concept of boarding and getting to your seat and takeoff. I was fascinated by the whole idea of flying. Every single flight I would go on meant the world to me.
It’s rubbed off and now I am a huge lover of the beautiful airplanes on tarmac and across the sky. My family has no clue why I like it. They all hate flying with a passion.
It’s also funny…but when I smell that beautiful jet fuel smell, I almost feel at home. Like an airport is where I’m meant to spend my life. Or in the aviation industry. So when I go to O’Hare and back in two days all this will be running through my head.

1 Like

My first plane ride was at 3 weeks old, and obviously, I don’t remember any of it. My family would go on holiday 3 or 4 times a year, and by the time I was old enough (4 years old), I would always become so excited when my parents announced we were going on a plane. That love for travel soon turned into a love for aviation and before I knew it, I was hooked. Many years later, after living in Hong Kong, London and the US, we moved to Australia. Currently, our house is based in the middle of the ILS APP for RWY 16R and 16L at Sydney International Airport. Best of all, we are soon renovating and my room will have a balcony with a view all the way down to the runway. The architect didn’t even know I liked aviation ;)

4 Likes

Wow, what a story…

Every since I first went on a plane back when I was about 2 months old, most babies cried and screamed the whole flight. I literally just sat on my fathers lap and looked out the window. This was on a Qantas 747-400 I still know the registration I flew on VH-OJH that time. The next time I flew when I was 4 years old, I went YSSY-YMML on a 747-400 the registration was VH-OJA and I because the place where I was staying was close to Melbourne airport of the three weeks I was there most days I would go outside onto the balcony and watch the planes land. When I returned to Sydney I ironically had VH-OJH again. For some reason mid flight I got to up to the cockpit and sit in the jump seat. And when we landed back in Sydney I got to sit on my fathers lap again in the cockpit jumpseat. Ever since then I have just loved planes and aviation. Although Nowadays I have started to take an interest into the designs and coding for spacecraft.

2 Likes

That’s so cool! What’s even cooler is that the pilots could see your body through the plane window glass and the terminal glass from that far away.

HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?.

1 Like

IF inspired me to love aviation.

2 Likes

I wanted to be a paramedic but I get like ughhh sometimes someone is getting a vaccine. In 2014 Age 9 I went on my first flight UA219 ORD to HNL so I enjoyed the flight and lines I love heights I love to travel,. Being a pilot was the Best job.

3 Likes

Taking my first tour of an ATC tower. That was one of the coolest experiences of my life and sparked the career path I now want to explore and follow.

2 Likes