What if V1 Speed is Higher Than Vr Speed?

Last time I checked, V1 is the point where you can no longer abort the takeoff, and you have to continue flying.

So let’s say we have the A318 on a 16,000 foot runway. There’s PLENTY of space to abort the takeoff. The rotation speed is only about 135 knots, but you can be at 160 knots and still be able to abort the takeoff.

So what happens in that situation? Is there no V1 callout, since there would be no need?

5 Likes

Also, V1 is the safety takeoff speed, at which you have to decide whether to stop or continue. Basically, you only stop the takeoff roll if the PF judges the aircraft is not capable of flying.

1 Like

I think if there was a long runway, the V1 and Vr would be the same because after V1 you cant abort take-off because at that speed tou should take-off… whut?🤔 Sorry a bit messed up.

An interesting question. However in my experience ( ok mainly in IF but also some IRL), once you reach Vr your bird wants to fly anyway! With lift generated when you are at Vr +20 you would be hard pressed to keep her on the ground.

Also worth noting that with a long available runway like that, the engines would be ‘de-rated’ i.e. Use reduced thrust for take off. This helps preserve the life of your engine as well as help reduce your fuel consumption. Two key points you want to achieve as a pilot!

2 Likes

V1 can be the same as Vr in those circumstances. The callout would be an immediate, without pause in between, “V1, rotate”

Although theoretically, yes, V1 could be greater than Vr, it’s not going to be the case as the aircraft ‘wants’ to fly at Vr, and the pilot is now pulling back on the yoke. V1 is never calculated as a greater number than Vr, it can only be the same. Whatever V1 speed it could theoretically be, is now irrelevant, as the aircraft is airborne passing Vr. It has not remained on the runway - the factors now in calculating an accurate V1 have changed, the aircraft is now in the air, it now needs to dramatically reduce thrust, descend, wheels onto the runway, spoilers deploy, brakes, etc. V1 speeds relate to the aircraft being on the runway, as soon as you are airborne, variables change (are you 10 feet off the runway or 50 feet for example).

1 Like

As stated above V1 could be faster than Vr on a very long, flat runway with no geographical climbout restrictions.

However, as in the airliner world we are creatures of habit, the correct call from the NFP would be V1, rotate. Also almost all of our performance data comes from a big computer somewhere in cyberspace now and the line for V1 reads something akin to:

IF V1>Vr then V1=Vr

So the anomaly would never really arise except in manual performance calculations. In which case it’s irrelevant as you’ll be rotating and airborne at that point anyway. Once you’ve started the take off manoeuvre you will never be attempting to put it back down in a big jet!!!

2 Likes

You just don’t hear the callout…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.