What happens if you lost internet connection while you are flying online

Does anyone know what will happen if you lost WiFi connection for a few seconds while you are flying online? My home WiFi is like this and I am thinking if I should buy the subscription and fly online. Thanks.

For a few seconds? Nothing significant. Your device will simply re-connect. Being disconnected for longer periods of time could have more significant impacts, though.

Welcome to the community!

I believe if it is disconnected for too long it will disconnect from the live server and put you basically in “solo”.

Before the A350 update, I used to leave the app while flying online just to check on another app like snapchat, or instagram for 1 to 2 minutes, then I would come back to my flight and I would get reconnected. That’s not the case after the A350 update (version?). If you leave the app for more than 30 seconds, it completely disconnects you and you have to quit.

3 Likes

Is it not a good idea to fly online using data?

@HL020 it depends how much data you have, but normally it’s about as good as wifi for me.

1 Like

The flight would continue as normal. You wouldn’t be able to see other pilots or use ATC, but you can fly. Once you reconnect, you can see other pilots and use ATC again.

1 Like

You can even go for hours disconnected. Just don’t leave the app. If you leave the app for more than say, 90 seconds, it’ll basically ghost you (not the bad kind of ghost, but other pilots can’t see you anymore).

2 Likes

How much data do you use for a flight?

disconnect* I think “ghost” can only be a bad thing. Lol, just my opinion

2 Likes

That’s the only way I knew how to put it.

1 Like

it depends on how many planes are near by but usually a bit for me.

Any numbers? Around how many MB or GB?

Sorry I don’t have any numbers but my guess would be around 30mb for a 1h flight

If you look at your replay log it should say how many mb’s it was

1 Like

That’s not the same :) It shows the size of the replay file, not how much data that was used.

3 Likes

Oops… my bad

You could get a data tracking app.

If you’re disconnected from the internet while flying but DONT leave the app, the unloaded scenery gets very blurry until you reconnect and things return to normal. I’ve never tried landing while disconnected but I’d guess the airports don’t load in as well.

2 Likes

For me nothing happens when I disconnect even for long periods of time like 1-2hrs.

1 Like