What flight school do you attend / Where would you attend?

I don’t have a specific one in mind. My closest airfield is just an asphalt strip and a ramp that can only hold a couple aircraft. Next closest is a little bigger, I am considering Goodwood Flying School.

1 Like

I want to attend a flight school thats at a college like Utah State is one I’m going to go visit soon.

1 Like

I’m planning on joining Blue Line aviation career pilot course in Raleigh NC in about a year once I pay off some debt.

1 Like

I am currently transitioning from Genesis flight school to Pilots Choice in KGTU.
In the future, I’ll be going to Liberty University in San Marcos where I’ll study online courses and become a flight instructor 😁🤞

1 Like

i made an account just to reply to this

In my opinion, it’s not smart to go to Embry-Riddle or any accredited flight university. It isn’t cost effective at all. It’s much better to get a random degree like computer science for example while pursuing your pilots licenses at a Part 61 or a Part 141 flight academy such as ATP. I was told this after I started attending Embry-Riddle and I regret it a lot.

The reason that I say this is because airlines don’t care where you get your flight training. They’re willing to take experience over quality of flight education at the moment, for lack of better words. I know pilots that are currently at American Eagle that have went to ATP and are taking online courses right now so that they can transition to American Airlines

DM me if you have any questions

8 Likes

Once I’m retired from sales and trading at an investment bank (hopefully) I’ll probably go to ATP to get my PPL and stop there.

1 Like

Yes, but the facilities at Embry-Riddle are phenomenal and the whole experience is great to have, plus it’s more expensive because they have more than just aviation: Forensics, Engineering, etc. But if you don’t care about that stuff, then yes, I can see your point in going somewhere cheaper.(But ERAU isn’t that expensive compared to other universities)

2 Likes

I’m probably going to end up going to LeadingEdge Aviation at Glasgow Airport. Allows me to stay with my parents and I can continue Nationals and Highers while doing flight school so better for me. Yet to find a place in Scotland that does ATPL or MPL licences. If someone does know do get in touch :)

1 Like

Just graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato (in Mankato, Minnesota, if the name didn’t give that away…) with a degree in Aviation, emphasizing in Professional Flight. It’s a university that not many people who are interested in aviation in the U.S. know about, but like @throwawayaccount1 said, a “lesser known” school is absolutely worth consideration.

I originally applied for and was accepted into ERAU, Daytona Beach, but after doing some number crunching, I figured out that it was much smarter to go elsewhere. I’m sure the same principle applies to Purdue and the other larger schools that everyone has heard of. If you’re looking into taking the University/Part 141 route, I highly encourage you to consider all of your options. I paid approximately half what any ERAU student would pay for their degree, and I got the exact same degree, as well as a bunch of flight certificates, starting with Private, then Instrument, then Commercial Multi-Engine, then Commercial Single-Engine (add on), and I’m currently working on MEI (initial instructor certificate), then CFI, then CFI-I (both add ons). All of those certificates are tied into the degree - even the MEI, CFI, and CFI-I - something that MOST accredited aviation degree programs do not include. We have a fairly large fleet of Cessna 152s (those are for spin endorsement training and for the Flight Team), Piper Warriors, brand new Piper Archers, and a mix of “older” (probably not even 10 years old) and brand new Piper Seminoles for multi-engine training, as well has having simulators for the Warriors/Archers and the Seminoles, in addition to having a CRJ-700 jet sim.

If you’re reading this, do whatever is in your favor, but again, consider every option before committing to the flashy ERAU/Purdue/other school just because they’ve established a name for themselves. You can get the same education elsewhere for much cheaper. Feel free to ask me questions. :)

2 Likes

yea i was just talking solely about education not about facilities

the facilities are great ngl
the student union’s insane, they’re building a new dorm for the 3rd year in a row and i heard they’re builidng a garden i forget

1 Like

Same as a few others on this forum, my goal would be to get into Embry Riddle. Currently though, I have done some flight training in the C172 at Colorado Flight Center at GJT.

1 Like

Oh ok, then I wouldn’t really know about the education because I’ve only toured the campus 😂

1 Like

I looked at MNSU, it just wasn’t for me but I totally agree with you!

I’m thinking of auburn

1 Like

Star Flight Training there my home airport and fly DA40’s and have the G1000 package!
Me personally I have 48 flight hours on RV8’s and 172’s.
I can recommend this to anyone and will tell you who to contact and everything C: just pm me!

Hope you agree,
USA_ATC Staff

1 Like

200k over 4 years is not expensive? Bruh.

3 Likes

I have some interests in Central Missouri State and NDSU. Haven’t really thought about it too much yet. I’m an incoming Sophomore in HS so I got a little bit of time to think.

1 Like

I was going to do CHI, but I’ll be attending Hampton Airfield.

They’re a bush airport, but they have four Cessna 172’s and one J-3 Cub.

I’ll be training in the Cessna 172 aircraft.

Because of the trees around the airport, I found that it would be best to train there. It’s a unique place to learn. They told me if I can land at Hampton Airfield, I can basically land anywhere

1 Like

It’s $30k a year when I got a tour.

That’s as much as some private high schools in Colorado.