What fascinates you about aviation?

Hi everyone, I recently came back to infinite flight after being away for a year and a half. I came back here and began to think more deeply about aviation, and why I feel I have such a strong interest into it. I also might be doing a project in one of my classes for data analytics. So I came here to ask, what fascinates/intrigues you about aviation, and why do you love it so much? (I might use some of these answers for the school project. Don’t worry everything with be anonymous). Thanks feel free to add on and share your thoughts!

6 Likes

That’s a good question. There’s something so moving about a machine that can leave the bounds of Earth and seemingly defy gravity for hours and thousands of miles at a time before gracefully touching down cities, countries, or even continents away.

11 Likes

Exactly, I think this is the same reason I find it so amazing. Seeing the size of these machines gliding through air, blows my mind.

Am I allowed to say everything because seriously… Everything about aviation is beyond amazing to me

6 Likes

I agree, honestly. I was just trying my best to put it in words somehow. Passion is a very hard thing to describe, especially the why factor.

5 Likes

In the grand scheme of things, the Wright Brother’s first flight wasn’t that long ago. In that time not only did we fly an airplane for the first time, but we went to space too. The world is a better place when we come together to build such marvels of engineering. The fact that we did this in such short time is nothing short of a miracle, and now aviation is “routine”. The best part about aviation though, is the group that rallies together. This forum is a perfect example, people helping each other out, etc.

3 Likes

One thought always consumes my mind…

What would the Wright brother’s response be if we brought them to the 21st century to see what aviation has become 🤔🤔🤔

3 Likes

Walking through the door in one place and walking out the same door like 1,000 miles away in just 2 hours 🥰

8 Likes

Plane look cool. Plane fly. Plane take me places. Me happy.

15 Likes

Hahah, exactly imagine them looking at a A380.

2 Likes

That feeling you get when you’re looking down at earth from 35000 feet. For me it makes me feel so small but also gives me a feeling of purpose and excitement. Especially at night looking at all of the city lights :) Probably different for other people but at least that’s kinda why I love it. As Mort said, passion is hard to describe :)

3 Likes

To me, it is crazy that the same concepts the Wright Brothers used for the Wright Flyer still apply for all aircraft big and small, even the A380

2 Likes

For my personal experience, I used to be scary of flying but at the same time I am fascinated by the beautiful flying machines. I cannot help myself digging in every aspect of aviation. By gaining more knowledge about aviation, i overcome fear of flying and gain more interest of aviaton.

2 Likes

Everything about aviation is fascinating.

We have heavy iron birds soaring high in the skies, continually pushing the boundaries of human achievement, battling against nature’s resistance to our desire to fly. Yet, we persist and continue to conquer the skies. It’s a pleasure to be part of this world, whether as a virtual or real-life aviator. We are all captivating in our own way, and what we do in the sky can be considered art, in its most beautiful form.

Aviation truly is fascinating.

2 Likes

How a 600,000lbs MD-11 can fly.
I find a machine can fly; one thats that is obviously heavier than air fascinating, and I have always loved and been curious with the mechanics and aerodynamics.

And ever since being my aircraft, i knew piloting is what I wanted to do.

2 Likes

I am fascinated by the science and the behind the scenes stuff. It has become my passion along with my “dad”. He shares the same passion with me though he knows a lot more about military tech.

2 Likes

The fact that “little” laws of physics competing with each other seem to create magic with tons of steel floating in the sky:

conservation of momentum 1 (static pressure): Tons of weight floats in the sky from little bits of matter banging against the bottom of a wing more than the top (the wing consumes their collision momentum), because…

conservation of momentum 2 (dynamic pressure): …only the bits on top going fast enough to keep up with the relative wind* make it through the top path detour (camber+AoA) in time. So maintaining the same group momentum means they will be thinned out as they speed up** (causing less static pressure to bang on the top).

*there are always a range of air molecule velocities surrounding us

**more speed represented in the momentum means less mass (mass x speed = constant)…which has to be true at the same time as: mass flow rate = constant

(note that a wind has both directed and random molecular momentums mixed on top of each other: the cause of dynamic and static pressure)

3 Likes

What fascinates me is being able to travel everywhere and I also enjoy the outside view and in-flight entertainment. Seeing the aircraft cockpit upon boarding the airliner also fascinates me which is why I became really interested in aviation.

2 Likes

The buttons. nothing more…nothing less…

3 Likes

Of how these machines that are carrying hundreds of luggage’s and passengers lift off of the ground.

3 Likes