What does Trim do?

Can anyone tell me what the trim tool does and how I use it.I know every other tool other than that.Please help me guys

Changed the title to make it a bit more descriptive.

I was wondering about this too…

I suggest googling it and doing some research to get a comprehensive answer.

In short, you use trim to assist with controlling the pitch of the aircraft. Instead of having to constantly ‘pull back’ on the yoke or side stick, the trim adjusts the elevators for you.

For examples If the aircraft wants to pitch nose down, you can adjust the trim to pull the nose up instead of you pulling back constantly to keep a level flight…

But every time I press it it goes off again

Trim is used to relieve pressure on the yoke so your not having to pull back or push down so hard on it in flight. It’s their to put the yoke in a neutral position during flight with out much input from the yoke. And you don’t just press it you move it to a positive or negative trim by sliding your finger up or down

1 Like

so basically say I wanted to point my nose up I would have to slide my finger down to a negative number so I don’t have to use my yoke to do it right

I have found that in the initial stages when you are learning to fly …if you set the trim between 15 and 30 % …you will have a better balance with the aircraft when you on final approach and landing…particularly with the larger jets…but also with the props in adverse conditions such as moderate to high winds…the best thing is just to experiment with the setting and later when you become a more proficient pilot …you will know when it it is needed…

Best explaination I’ve found on the forums, perfectly explained by @Clipper747PA

"In IF, trim only works for the elevator. In the real world you also are able to trim the rudder (e.g. in case of engine failures) and the aileron.

to trim an aircraft simply means, that the aircraft is balanced and keeps the attitude that it currently flies.
As said before, for take off, the aircraft also has to be trimmed. in IF you trim the aircraft nose up, to ease up the effort to steer, meaning to tilt the ipad at a given take off weight. The heavier the plane, the more you need to trim up, in order to reduce the tilt effort neccessary for pitching up.

if you become more experieneced, you will appreciate the trim “wheel”.

by the way: In the real big airliner world, boeing aircraft are still trimmed manually. Airbusses have a system, that trims the airrcraft automatically, meaning you move the stick and the aircraft will maintain the attitude.
what’s better?- There is no right. or wrong, its simply a question, which philosphhy a constructor follows.

happy landings,

Clipper 747PA"

1 Like

Saw this and thought “excellent question” not because of the aeronautical aspect but rather the simulation aspect. Trim, as you know isn’t something that’s present in almost every Sim except for a very few. Personally, it thrills me that this little detail is included, because in the real world TRIM is important.

Thanks for letting me participate

Infinite Flight does not have trim because it does not have trim tabs and because we are using a mobile device.

With Infinite Flight, “Trim”, is used to move and set your “elevators” up and down adjusting your pitch. But because we are using mobile devices, any “trim” setting is merely over-ridden by our devices, therefore having zero effect.

So now we are back to the original question, “What does trim do?”.

I found a practical use for it with my landings and take offs. Whenever you engage and disengage your auto VS, the elevators briefly move back to the zero (horizontal) position causing that all annoying nose bump/bounce where your plane suddenly dips up or down.

With a trimmed aircraft, the elevators do not reset to zero, but instead to your selected trim position.
Through trial and error, you can trim your elevators so that they match the position they will be in at a predetermined speed, weight and VS.

I had made a video (below) wanting to show the phases of a climb, but because this question came up before, I use it now to demonstrate the use of the trim.

With practice, and by noting your weight, speed and VS, you can completely eliminate the nose bounce when engaging and disengaging your auto settings.
And for me I find it very satisfying when I disengage my auto settings during approach and the aircraft continues on without any deviation or deflection, just as it would with a real world aircraft. It’s almost like an art :)

2 Likes