What does it take to be an airline pilot?

Hi, I have this ambition of being a commercial pilot, however I do have some fears and want to know if it will destroy my dreams of being a pilot. Firstly, I have a fear of heights, so whenever I look down from a high building etc, I tend to get nervous, however, when the building is sheltered, I usually do fine. Then, I also have a fear of roller coasters, which means that I also won’t be able to take any high Gs, I was wondering if any of these fears would affect my dreams of becoming a pilot?

1 Like

I had a fear if the plane was struck by lightning, but nowI know that planes are built to withstand lightning.

1 Like

When you say commercial pilot do you mean getting your commercial pilots license or flying for an airline because they are two different things

Well… If you have a CPL, you are technically allowed to fly an airliner?

That can depend on many different variables…

1 Like

Being afraid of heights and not being able to withstand g-forces is a problem if your trying to become a pilot. Before you are eligible to become a licensed commercial pilot, you have to obtain a private license. When you practice stalls or other maneuvers that change pitch rapidly, you’ll definitely feel some G’s. I recommend that you take a different career path considering your conditions.

3 Likes

You don’t have to become a Privat Pilot, before obtaining your commercial pilot license.

You’ll need a CPL, MR (Multi Engine Rating), IR (Instrument Rating so you can fly in not VFR weather) and an eventual ATPL theory, which will give you a ATPL when you hit 1500hours

1 Like

In the US you do. You must at least have a student or sport pilot certificate.

1 Like

Oh well, I was going my the European rules - guess it’s different :)

2 Likes

Either way, you’re still going to at some point spend some time in a general aviation aircraft while training for your commercial license. That applies to any country I would think.

I’m scared of lightning (don’t ask me why or just create a chat msg thing) that might help probably???

A youtuber by the name of Mentour Pilot answers pretty much all of these, as well as other really common questions in his videos. He is a 737 captain flying for Ryanair.

3 Likes

Lots of money and dedication.

2 Likes

As stated before, these two fears are a problem. Remember in a building, you can be up to 500m off the ground (variable), and in a plane, your 18 miles up. Also, as a pilot, you are constantly looking out the window, at the 18 mile drop that could await you if there was a failure. G-forces are something that is CRITICAL for a pilot. Fighter pilots have to pass high gs like 9g for a pass. In a commercial pilot, you should be able to stand up to about 4.
Fear of rollercoasters isn’t as much to do with flying, but if it’s about going upside down, then you’d need to work on that as well.

Don’t let this crush your dreams. I had similar fears as a kid myself, but I over came them. Phobias are learnt, and can be suppressed or ‘unlearnt’. So work on it, and you’d be fine.

2 Likes

I’m terrified of heights if I’m connected to the ground (Farris wheels, cable cars, tall buildings, ladders, etc), but if I’m not on something that’s connected to the ground (flying) I’m good.

1 Like

The first thing I recommend doing is going and having your eyes tested as if you eyes aren’t 20/20 or can be corrected to 20/20 vision then I’m sorry but the dream is over…

1 Like

Yeah you can say the money part again… Haha😉👍🏼

That’s a good point. Eyesight, and fitness.
Eye sight is crucial, and the requirements are that you still have to read fine detail with out glasses or contacts
And you can’t have any medical conditions like diabetes for example. (Crushed my best friends dream that did 😔 )

2 Likes

Yeah there are lots of fine details people miss such as able to achieve a grade 4 English ICAO certificate and FAA class 1 medical certificate …