What do you think about Qantas' decision?

Qantas recently announced that passengers won’t social distance on-board with the aim to fill every seat saying that it doesn’t pose any problem and health concerns.

What do you think of this decision? Should there be social distancing on planes?

4 Likes

🤔 well unless they use that seat concept of those barriers between each seat then…

2 Likes

think about how unrealistic social distancing would be on a plane the 787-9 that they own in in total 206ft and 18ft wide thats 3 people per row and 34 rows of people thats 102 people and normally there would be 280 seats

5 Likes

Planes are one of the safest places to be I believe

2 Likes

Social distancing is useless on planes as everybody breathes the same air :/

14 Likes

There’ll probably be rules in place where each passenger must wear their own PPE

3 Likes

Accident wise yes, but for spreading an infectious disease in a closed environment no

3 Likes

the air is purified though so it is very safe if anything it would circulate for a little before it gets purified

2 Likes

What if someone who has COVID-19 uses the bathroom? In that case the virus could potentially be on the toilet, the flush button, the taps, the door handle, the latch etc etc. The virus can live on surfaces for upto 72 hrs, if this was transmitted to other passengers they could spread it at their destinations, if the crew became infected but were asymptomatic they could spread it to potentially 100s of passengers who would then go onto spread it to more people.

2 Likes

On Delta, United, and American masks are required, and i would expect this of qantas too. if a person is wearing a mask and has it they cannot cause the virus to magically jump to their fingers. Unless they do something that causes it to be left on their hand there would be no way for it to get there in the first place

3 Likes

😂I just thought, how are you meant to go past the person If you need the loo?

3 Likes

A multitude of factors will contribute to the effectiveness of a face mask - face shape, facial hair, duration etc etc.

Also whether a person is capable of using a face mask correctly.

2 Likes

Its a good decision in an effort to boost the economy; something drastically needed, but time will tell if this was a poor move by Qantas. Australia has managed the virus extremely efficiently, with very low daily case numbers resulting in the reopening of many parts of society, so I think Qantas is ethically more sound to make a decision like this, compared to airlines in the US where the virus has been poorly controlled. This is also mainly domestic travel, and passengers will be thoroughly screened prior to boarding, so virus control has not been compromised in an effort to get Qantas aircraft back in the skies of Australia. I’d like to argue that sitting in a heavily secure aircraft, with health-screened passengers, is safer than travelling on public transport such as a train or bus. If public transport has reopened to full capacity, air travel should also be allowed to resume.

3 Likes

id say it is more based on the mask or person and not as much the distancing and spreading when it comes to planes because if it gets in the air it will get purified but if a person who gets it on their hand touches something thats another story

3 Likes

This is actually the same here in Europe. I am a bit unsure personally whether I would feel save sitting next to a stranger in these times, even with a mask, but economically it is clear to me that a 66,6% max load factor in a classic narrow-aisle aircraft (3-3 configuration with blocked middle seat) isn’t going to make flying viable for the airlines.

As air distribution seems to be extremely save in airplanes, with air being filtered and distributed from the ceiling to the ground, flying might well be the safest form of public transportation these days.

Conclusion: Would I like empty middle seats? Yes! Is this going to work (economically)? No.

2 Likes

An average economy seat is 17inches. The recommended social distancing is 6ft, so basically, proper social distancing would mean that 1 out of every 6 seats are occupied. Leaving the middle seat empty is just a PR stunt imo.

If one is not comfortable with Qantas’ decision, then they could take a train or drive(ie if it’s not essential travel) 🙂

2 Likes

In my own opinion, I think that this is good news for the long term functionality of the airline and their economic stand. Pandemics and other chaotic scenes and events we’ve seen in the past, and unfortunately, we will see many more in the future, that’s just how the world is. Thus, sooner or later, we will have to adapt to the changes SARS-CoV-2 has brought, and start socializing again.

For me, I wouldn’t mind sitting beside someone on the bus, train, or in this case, a plane, the question is more if people, the one who booked their ticket for the seat beside mine, is willing ti sit down or have a empty space in between?

As for the economy, it can’t stand still forever, we can’t have airplanes grounded for many more months to come without having to pay the price. Now that in today’s globalized, connected, world, both financially and infrastructural-ly, airlines have a deep root in the system, and even if you say, I won’t fly sitting next to a passengers I don’t know, the economy will talk minus to your nation and the world soon enough.

So for the long term survival and keeping the world economy on a flow, Qantas has done a brave, bold but in today’s time, a controversial decision, which I believe is the right path to fly. And if one still feels unsure and not ready, no pressure, you can, hopefully, travel sometime again in the near future when the situation stabilizes further. Because at some point in time, we will all have to understand, accept and move on with life knowing what the first half of 2020 (so far), has done and how it changed they way we live, interact and behave as humans of this world.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing, Masks aren’t actually required, I personally won’t be wearing one as I have serious sensory issues. You can’t social distance on a plane and you know it. I think Qantas said that you could only have 18 people on an A320 to make social distancing happen. The health crisis is important but practically also comes into play here

1 Like

Its is said by flight attendants etc. That the aircrafts are safer than most environments because of air, chemicals they use and cleaning procedures. The people in Australia that had Corona and went on a plane didn’t affect anyone else I believe or not an big amount.

1 Like

If the passengers want to social distance they should be let. If they are fine with not social distancing they don’t have to.

1 Like