What do you guys do for a living? What got you into IF and aviation?

For me, I am an aerospace engineering student in the astronautical track. My goal is ultimately to work at SpaceX in developing systems/vehicles for space research/travel.

I am an avid world traveler and always enjoyed flying. I’ve flown on most Boeing and Airbus planes currently in full service, including a 737-600 (SAS), a few A380s (flew on one of the first to enter service (SQ); 2x Emirates, 2x Asiana) and 747-400s (first plane I ever flew on; 4x Korean), and even an MD-90 (Delta), among many others. I’m mostly into passenger airline-based aviation. I mostly fly on 737 MAXs and 777s.

I tried several different mobile sims (including X-Plane and RFS), and found IF to be best for my liking. I’ve been doing all sorts flights, mostly long-haul. I mainly stick to real-time scheduled flights, and mostly on 777s and sometimes A350s.

28 Likes

I’m a student studying data science. I actually don’t plan on working in aviation/aerospace at all (obviously if an opportunity presents itself I’ll take it). I’ve kind of just been into aviation for as long as I can remember, and I wanted to be a pilot at one point but for now I just keep it as a side hobby that I enjoy (although I would like to get a PPL one day when I can pay for it). I got into Infinite Flight because I was just looking for flight sims and it looked cool. 6 years later here we are.

12 Likes

I’m a ramper for American at DFW. Aviation was just kind of a thing that happened for me, and both of my parents work for Southwest. I enjoy planespotting and travelling as well. I’ve been on mobile flight sims since I was a kid, but IF just stuck for me. 7 years on and 5,000 flight hours later, here I am.

8 Likes

Actually a cool topic!

12 Likes

Currently I’m in college taking First Responder classes to eventually become a Firefighter/EMT in the near future. If all fails I will continue on to apply for a job at LAX. I’ve always been into public service work or aviation. Maybe someday I’ll become a Firefighter at LAX!

I think what MAINLY got me into aviation was back in 2010 when I went to Hawaii and flew on the 777-300ER with American. I had never seen a plane so large before and from then I started studying more and more about it.

Back in 2013 or '14 I was looking for plane simulators after downloading this other one. I came across Infinite Flight and started my journey then. I never made an account until 2019 because I was a bit slow and didn’t know how to. But here we are 8 1/2 years later still playing the simulator.

6 Likes

He’s a CS major and won’t admit it.

Jokes aside, I’m an EMT and am finalizing my licensure in my state so I can work on an ambulance. I’m disqualified from holding a first class medical because of my ADHD and thus defaulted to my second career choice. Secondly, honestly aviation makes said ADHD rather happy so I’m quite literally not bouncing off the walls every five minutes. Also my grandfather flew 747s and L1011s (hey remember those?) for Air Canada.

Frankly, now I’m just here to [INSERT S-WORD THE MODS WONT LET ME SAY HERE] post on the IFC. Much to the detriment of certain members.

5 Likes

Technically but my school doesn’t offer DS undergrad so I’m listed as CS. I plan on getting an accelerated master’s in DS though.

5 Likes

11 Likes

what’s that green substance?

10 Likes

Well in the future i want to work at NASA as a space engineer , however i’m only 17 years old now. I’m studying mathematics and physics actually.

3 Likes

Chlorophylle. You’re welcome. ;)

3 Likes

I’m a student and an entrepreneur and an avgeek in general. I love flying even though i usually flew on 737-800 or A320. And i played IF if i’m on the ground for a long time and miss flying.

2 Likes

I just loved to see aircrafts

3 Likes

Currently, I’m 14, so no real job (you can’t work in MN until you’re 16). I guess you could say I’m “self employed,” as I do have a thriving yard work business.

Anyways, I’m actually not sure how I got into aviation. I’ve always just been captivated by it. There’s no close familial relationship to it, both my parents are phycologists and in no way work with or have ever worked with aviation. Most of my extended family are either medical/financial/business people, so I don’t think it’s anyone I’m related to.

I’m going to start flight training next summer, here in Minneapolis. I want to get a college degree, maybe in meteorology or aviation sciences before moving up to the airlines.

5 Likes

I’m a college student majoring in aviation management and getting a minor in general business, I have about a year and a half left of school. Right now I’m working at Denver International Airport as an airfield operations intern. I used to work at some FBOs and was also a ramper for awhile. The door is still open to fly some day but I would like to go into some sort of airport operations for United, Southwest, or any major airline. Or also become a flight dispatcher at some point.

Cool reading everyone else’s!

4 Likes

Excellent topic!
I am a freelance forensic accountant, always worked from home. I have always been interested in aviation since I was a child. Discovered IF by accident on a search in store app and here I am, flying as much as I can. COVID pandemic gave me the chance to get more involved given the available time and it’s been a breeze since😎✈️

3 Likes

Ramp Agent for AAG. but soon to be aircraft/flight dispatcher. Love aviation and airplanes. Got my PPL in high school and knew aviation was my career and calling

2 Likes

im just a dumb 14 y/o who lives in Lithuania with no job apart from going to school for 5-9 hours a day.

4 Likes

I live in Canada and work as a locomotive engineer for CN rail. Always have been fascinated with aviation but the high costs of getting pilots licenses in Canada turned me away. Figured driving trains was the next best thing!

4 Likes

I’m studying aviation right now and working on my commercial multi engine rating. I got into IF because of @AndrewWu and transitioned that into a discovery flight to see if i would like it. Ended up enjoying it and started working on my private a couple years ago.

3 Likes