What do you do if there´s a Unicom instead of an ATC ?

When landing, and there is no ATC on the airport (and there are several aircrafts on it), how do I get instructions for landing? Is it the same as if there was a human behind the controls?

1 Like

What do you mean by “instructions”?

No. With Unicom you simply state your location and your intentions. There will be no ATC response. Only responses from other pilots.

2 Likes

Landing vectors.

Request traffic advisories. If there’s no response, announce inbound and tell what traffic pattern you will be using (left,right, or straight in). Also, reporting positions would be useful.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Yeah you won’t get any vectors/pattern instructions. Have to do it yourself

1 Like

1.request traffic advisory’s then someone should send a traffic advisory.
2. Announce inbound for the runway and direction specified in the sent advisory.
3. Report your position every step of the way. Crosswind, downwind, base, final
4. Announce when clear of the runway

2 Likes

Seems to be a bit more difficult than hearing a human being.

Definitely it is much more difficult.

1 Like

Come on it’s not that bad

2 Likes

I’ve never been under a unicom. I took off by ATC means yesterday from EGKK, and the ATC there kept leaving, so I was back and forth between ATC/Unickm, until one stayed long enough to handle me to EGBB.

It’s all good I prefer flying on Unicom but I also fly the 172 a lot.

Its not that bad. Its basically just like having ACT but having no one respond

1 Like

Land,taxi,clear of all runways

Yeah Unicom/CTAF isn’t really that bad @Sturmovik . In a way it gives you more freedom. It requires mostly common sense really. If a plane is on base or final you hold short and wait for arriving aircraft to land before departing. Same when inbound… you listen to where other planes are and what they are doing and the pilots work together to maintain good sequence and spacing.

2 Likes