What do I do when winds at cruising altitude are just under 100 kts?

So I’m currently doing a flight from DFW to LAX. I’m cruising at 31,000 ft. The winds are at 75 kts. Do I turn back or keep going or what?

3 Likes

Aircraft are designed to withstand bad wind or turbulence. You should be fine. :)

7 Likes

No worries, just carry on.

5 Likes

You’re all good, I’ve seen winds a lot higher than that in that area.

6 Likes

Alright thank you very much.

4 Likes

Think about it. Aeroplanes (yes, I am British) travel at around 300knt airspeed at cruising speed.

This means that the aircraft at the front is being completely battered by 300knt winds! (Just under double the speed of an F1 race car).

Aircraft are built to withstand lightning bolts, wind, rain, and pretty much everything in between. Don’t worry about it!

1 Like

That’s true. I knew thew could withstand lightning and stuff. Just wanted to make sure I was flying realistic.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Great to hear!

1 Like

@Airforce1095 If you didn’t know, Windy is a great website to check winds aloft and various other weather related recordings overlaid on a map of the world.

2 Likes

That’s nothin. I have had nearly 200knts so you’re all good to keep going

2 Likes

Never heard of that, I will be sure to use that. Thanks!

1 Like

Lol.

Thank you.

Wind is fine but turbulence and gusts can be annoying if it’s rocking the hell out of the plane.

Occasionally if it gets too crazy I will have a look on Windy and see if there’s better conditions at a slightly different altitude or heading. Otherwise face it head on like a champ.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the thing got me it was just bothering me.

1 Like

Exactly what is mentioned above. During Ciara, i got a 230kt tail wind at FL370!

2 Likes

I think my record is tailwind 242kts and a GS of 721 😂 - again during Storm Ciara

3 Likes

Remember east to west you might encounter headwinds from the jet stream at least in the northern hemisphere. As long as your airspeed is within the maximum structural cruise (Vno) you’re good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.