What causes Wing flex

Here is a question for you all…
Does the ground effect cause the wing flex? (this is a serious question I don’t know)
Anyone can answer this and I just want the answer:)

1 Like

Wing flex is simply the weight of an aircraft pulling down on each wing, causing it to flex

3 Likes

that is what I thought at first cause it had to do something with gravity:)
thanks!

1 Like

No problem glad to help, if you want more information on wing flex, simply look it up on google 👍

2 Likes

It can also be lift pulling the wingtips up relative to the body of the aircraft (e.g. 787 family during takeoff)

2 Likes

When the wind pushes up or down on the wings the wings flex and try to stablise the aircraft as much as it can

2 Likes

yeah, when I was on a flight we went through some turbulence an the wings went up and down and up and down;)

1 Like

Hi, that’s a good question,
Since the aircraft is moving at a constant velocity, the net force in the vertical direction must be zero (there are also horizontal forces—thrust and drag). Thereafter, the airplane enters a region of the atmosphere with a higher density air (or something like that) and this produces more lift. Now the aircraft is no longer in equilibrium. This causes two things to happen. First, a greater lift force means that the wings will bend more . Second, a greater lift force makes the plane accelerate upwards and perhaps also causes some stuff to rattle around inside the aircraft (like you).

Of course the plane doesn’t continue to accelerate upwards. It soon reaches air with a different density and stops its vertical acceleration with reduced lift. The wings were bent upwards due to the greater lift. Well, now they have to bend back down. This is the source of the oscillation.

Shobhit

2 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.