What bank angle is still considered normal?

I have a question: I got into charts recently and now I always try to follow them. Just now I departed from Munich to the South and took the TURB7S SID. However, in order to get the “perfect flight path” (the one illustrated in the chart) I needed to bank really hard despite me being 20kts below the 210KIAS max speed. I banked about 15 degrees. Is this still in the normal range or would this in real life already be too steep of a bank angle? If yes, how could I optimize my departure procedure to better match the given SID?

Here is the chart:

You can bank 360º with fighters 😜

Don’t quote me on this, but I think usually the max bank angle of an airliner is about 30º

5 Likes

Thanks! Just to make sure, what value does each of the “banking lines” on the HUD represent? 10 or 5 degrees?

1 Like

Now that’s something I also want to know 😂

1 Like

Because my needle went to the third of those lines (the first big one) but I am not sure if that’s 15, 30 or even another amount of degrees xD

1 Like

Actually it is 30 I think. Because if you think of the banking lines as one circle, the first big line should be 30 degrees

Each small line is 10 degrees, so @TwoTwenty is correct.

The Aerodynamics Of A Steep Turn | Boldmethod

1 Like

So I was hitting that maximum bank angle?

Depends on the aircraft. For example, the 737 has a maximum of 30 degrees on the bank angle for the autopilot. However, it could do steeper bank angles, though not recommended.

3 Likes

Oh ok… I will have to look into the replay then to see if I did a mistake. After all the chart was designed and tested on providing safe operations so it was definitely me who made a mistake. Probably turned too late

1 Like

As Thunderbolt said, it depends on the aircraft (and its configuration and speed).
On the 737, you would get a ‘bank angle’ warning over 35°, and the autopilot is usually set to 30° maximum bank.

1 Like

Most commercial aircraft have another thing called bank angle selector.

The pilots usually set it around 10-15 degrees at cruise and 25 degrees for takeoff & landing.

Currently, IF’s autopilot banks at 25 degrees, BAS is currently not yet a feature in the simulator though.

3 Likes

Another element to consider is the rate of turn. Under IFR, all planes are expected to turn at a standard rate of 3 degrees per second, regardless of whether thats a Cessna or an A380. But think about that, 3 ‘degrees per second’ means that the bank angle necessary will change depending on your speed. The faster you are flying, the steeper bank you will need to turn at that rate (even so, faster speeds will still result in larger turn radii even if turning at 3 degrees/second)

It’s a simple formula: divide your airspeed by 10 and then add half. For example, if you are flying at 200 knots, divided by 10 is 20, plus half of that (10) gives you a bank angle of 30 degrees to achieve 3 degrees per second of turn. If you comply with any speed restrictions such as the one you mentioned, you should be well on your way to tracking that line on the plate almost exactly.

5 Likes