What are your thoughts on the XCUB?

Really appreciate the responses from both you and Tyler, it’s not everyday you get to hear back from not one but two members of staff. I shouldn’t be surprised though, it’s reflective of the amazing community you guys have built here! Reasonable people can disagree about what “a little grace” means, whether “replacing the Super D” is what is happening or why it is happening, and how often “now and then” is 😉. What isn’t up for debate is that you guys care deeply, work hard, and are willing to hear feedback. Thanks again, I’m excited to see what comes next!

4 Likes

This topic is for your thoughts about the XCUB. This can be posted on the topic community members spotted on live (part 2), Thanks. :)

Topic

Community Members Spotted on Live Part 2

Oh no! I loved the Super D especially in high winds. (JK lol) Can’t find the picture of it upside down in the hurricane in the Caribbean a while back.
Honestly though you guys are thinking for every type of IF user and keep making their experience better stage by stage.
Personally I am looking forward to the exciting times in the X Cub.

1 Like

Will it have monster shocks ( shock absorbers )

XCub comes standard with Hydrasorb gear, with an option to upgrade to spring gear. I believe the Infinite Flight designers have gone with the standard gear option. There’s some reading online if you’re interested in diving into the differences.

15 Likes

Me personally I don’t fly GA aircraft a ton but this one might change my mind. Also I think that this was a necessary update needed to replace the super Decathlon. While im sure we have our feelings on it, in my honest opinion I think replacing it was the right call. Just on a side bar please please don’t replace the C-17 lol I’m not above bribes. 😂 just kidding but seriously love love the C-17 and looking forward to trying the XCub.

1 Like

The first few weeks probably will be used a lot and as days and weeks pass it’ll be just like any other plane in IF I think

2 Likes

Isn’t it obvious? The chicken has taken to flight!

Last confirmed sighting:

14 Likes

Did not really know where to put it but I saw this

Tell me if it was already said

It really isn’t worth your time…just ignore it the next time

I see this all the time…picking what suits your narrative. Why didn’t you respond to my opinion in its entirety? Was I misleading when I said there wasn’t a feature request prior to the announcement or that it was hardly spoken of? If you feel the forum isn’t enough to gauge customer satisfaction, that’s your prerogative but don’t make it seem like I’m speaking of alternative facts. Thank you

2 Likes

I appreciate the insightful post and I understand your reasoning as well. Diversity is key

Apologies, sir. It was a busy day and I didn’t mean to cherry pick your post. You’re absolutely right on your other point. This aircraft (to my knowledge) wasn’t requested. It’s a replacement for the Super Decathlon. We said this in our official announcement but I understand there’s a lot of info out there and it’s easy to miss.

In regards to my other statement, you can read through the rest of this topic for more from Tyler and I. Not every airplane will be based on user feedback. Most of them will, but not all.

Cheers.

20 Likes

For an aircraft with a starting price of 330,000, you’d think they could afford at least a normal gauge 😁

As I also said that’s your choice and that’s perfectly fine. I’m glad we can put this to bed. Enjoy your day.

2 Likes

I think, even if the Super Decathlon is removed, increasing winds on the Xcub would still make the controls look like a helicopter. I am actually not sure. 🤣

3 Likes

Well here goes:

I understand that not every rework/new aircraft will be based on user feedback.
However, this site has over 71,000 users, and many of whom are paying money to fly. The community should be serving as an area for the staff to view outlook on their game, and as an area for people to express their opinions.
I’m sure that many people will be happy about the addition of the XCub, but I’m not so sure how many will fly it.
Yes, it may replace the decathlon, but that doesn’t mean it will become a widely used aircraft. It will probably end up being used by a select few people, and not as often as many of the commercial aircraft.

As I mention above,

Even if the devs don’t want to expand/update their commercial fleet, there are many ways to expand the GA sector of IF.

The C172, one of the most common GA aircraft in the world, is incredibly out of date.
Similarly, the SR22 and CCX are very out of date. The C208 is soon the become one of that list as well.

Out of the top 10 features requests (by vote), 7 are directly related to commercial aircraft, and none of them have anything to do with GA.
However, I understand that many people on the IFC love to fly GA, and that there are many types of customers to satisfy. So, I found the most voted for GA topic. Drumroll please…
With 195 votes, the Beechcraft King Air
Found here

Scrolling down even more:
The next GA aircraft request, with 98 votes, is the PC12. However, I don’t think this will be added due to the recently added TBM.

Even lower, the Cirrus SF50 “Vision Jet”, with only 56 votes.

The thing is, there may be a lot of GA support, but it is nothing compared to the support for commercial.

Lets find another example: The A-10!
I mean, it is clear FDS spent a great amount of time updating the A-10. Despite this, I barely see anybody flying it. It has live instruments, and great physics, but is never used.

Although I’m sure the XCub will be used more than the A-10, I’m not so sure it should be added so soon after the release of the TBM.
Perhaps instead the addition of a longer ranger corporate jet. Being versatile aircraft, I’m sure people from both commercial and GA affiliation will use it much more often then an aircraft such as the XCub.

Yes, I understand that many people are greatly in favor of the XCub, however, you as game developers have a great resource at your disposal - a community full of people who share their opinions, and there should be a lot more paying attention to user feedback.

2 Likes

I will respectfully disagree with most of what you’ve said but thank you for your thoughts. We use the forum a lot, as our users are extremely valuable to us. Just not for every decision. We can’t please everyone, all the time. There are sooo many factors that go into these choices (some of which is the amount of research and data required for some aircraft).

I’d replace “never” with “rarely” but otherwise I agree. We had an enormous amount of data for this aircraft (I will not name the source), so using it as a springboard for our live instruments made a lot of sense. It was a path of least resistance for work that was needed to move forward. We’re reusing technology from that aircraft build. Further, the existing model was really bad. It was a win-win for us.

I encourage everyone to ask questions before jumping to too many conclusions with how we make development choices. We’d love to help by answering those before strong opinions are formed based on a lack of your favourite aircraft in the sim!

Cheers.

11 Likes

I’m definitely glad they are replacing that God-awful Decathon. The XCUB looks like it will be advanced in terms of details and physics, which I can appreciate as well.

Is the Xcub hard to fly,
the only reason I don’t fly the a-10 because its so hard to fly.