What are these?

So I have seen these on most planes, and I see them deploying downwards as the flaps are extended. What are they and what are they used for?

I think you are talking about the flaps cover

An aircraft fairing is a structure whose primary function is to produce a smooth outline and reduce drag. These structures are covers for gaps and spaces between parts of an aircraft to reduce form drag and interference drag, and to improve appearance.

1 Like

These are pretty much an aerodynamic cover for the flap mechanism. Their sole porurpose is to be aerodynamic.


Thanks for clarifying. So not needed, but helpful, especially when it comes to fuel efficiency. So kinda like winglets?

1 Like

Iโ€™m tryna find an image of these removed but failing miserably ๐Ÿ˜‚

Bad quality

Yea, just imagine the drag that would create.

Also the covers could protect the mechanism from the strong wind experienced at cruising

1 Like

Why do they have to extend further out though?


They stick out from behind the wing, but it seems like they donโ€™t have to

Good question, but I think this image can explain

1 Like

Ooooh. Now it get it. So those things are the hydraulics for the flaps. Thanks for the image.

just imagine the drag these things would cause

1 Like

Yeah makes sense. Especially when flaps are deployed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.