What are some good canyons for flying in?

The name of the topic might sound really unusual, but if anyone has some good canyon locations to practice my fighter jet skills in, that would be great, so nothing too big of a topic, just if anyone has ideas, that would be pretty good ;)

5 Likes

Le Grande Canyon? 😊

Hence it’s name… in Nev… Ariz… I’ll save the embarrassment.

4 Likes

Grand Canyon of course 😉
You can weave in mountains with your jet which is good. I suggest flying around Patagonia and the Himalayas dodging them all.

2 Likes

Is that a French canyon? Sounds like it, I’ll search it up

4 Likes

It’s called the Grand Canyon in America lol 😂

1 Like

Oh true, lol, I’ve never actually flew there before, I should though! ;)

No he was trying to make the Grand Canyon sound fancy

6 Likes

Oh yes! You’re right! Ahh I just realised

1 Like

A daredevil for some fighter jet flying is mountainous terrain, such as the Alps around Switzerland, the Himalayas in Nepal, and not as high but more beautiful, the Canadian Rockies in British Columbia. PAJN is a great place for this terrain.

6 Likes

Well, looks like everyone’s suggesting the Grand Canyon then! ;) It’s worth a try

1 Like

It’s also fun around KASE and KEGE, you have a lot of choices.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was mainly thinking about before I posted this topic, challenging areas in rugged terrain

Definitely. I practice my fighter jet maneuverability in any mountains range.

1 Like

I sure do, and I’m going to try all of this straight after 😂

Rainbow Canyon (Aka Star Wars canyon!) Its the coolest place for some low level flying.

Here’s an awesome video about it:

2 Likes

This is gonna potentially clog up the thread this question, but does anyone know what airport is closest to the east/north side of the Canyon?

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of people talk about that, actually! I wasn’t sure if it was the best though, so I posted this topic anyways ;)

AZ40 and KGCN are your best bets. You can easily get to the ends.

2 Likes

KGCN is brilliant, especially is you take off from runway 3!

You could always start at KRIL and weave your way, east, through the rocky mountains and the Glenwood Canyon. Once you get out of there you can keep going east towards Vail Pass of you can cut south and wind through the mountains of Aspen and Leadville.