What altitude should I be on on ILS approach?

As I approach the red lines (lets say for 24L at LAX), what should my altitude be? It seems you can be any altitude, but sometimes I come in very high and sometimes too low.

2500 ft then establish on the localizer and glide slope :)

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I usually establish anywhere between 2500 and 3000 ft.

That depends on the airport’s altitude above sea level, ATC presence and approach charts.

If you approach Denver on the ILS you can enter the ILS cone at a higher altitude MSL as Denver is at an higher altitude than let’s say Los Angeles.
I usually enter the cone at 2700 - 2900ft above the airport’s Altitude MSL. Then I fly until I line up with the glideslope and start further descending. This is probably not the most professional way to do this, but it works.
You can check this altitude by hitting the blue airport information bubble with its ICAO (4 digit airport code) above.

If there’s an Approach ATC available and you request an ILS Approach, the ATC will sometime send you “… … … maintain ****ft until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway ***”.
That means that you have to maintain the Altitude the ATC told you until you intercept the localizer (the info on the center right side on your HUD changes to airport and runway you approach).
Then you can direct yourself onto the glideslope.

Some special airports, for example Paro (VQPR) have complicated approach charts (vectoring instructions) you have to follow to safely approach the airport, because an ILS / GPS approach is not possible due to terrain or similar reasons.
For example it says that you have to be at 11.500ft when you overfly the Paro VOR.

Hope this helps, for further questions, feel free to ask.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.