What Altitude do you bring the flaps out?

I was curious at what altitude everyone starts putting their flaps out while on approach?

1 Like

I start about 7,000 feet or 210-230 knots.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I usually start around 6000ft with my speed around 200-210KTS

1 Like

Many of the aircraft in the Infinite Flight fleet have maximum speeds for each flap setting somewhere in their cockpit. Below is the A320 series. For Boeings, the speeds will be on the yoke if they are there. And, flaps are based on airspeed and rate of descent, not altitude.

8 Likes

8000 210 kts

1 Like

I normally use my distance to destination as reference to reducing my speed, and therefore, extending flaps (I know it’s not really realistic, but it works fine for me)

At 20NM from the destination I reduce my speed to 200 knots and set flaps 1 for Airbuses or 5º for Boeings

Then at 18NM from the destination speed 180 knots and flaps 2 for Airbuses or 15º for Boeings

When I put my gear down, at 8,5 NM from the runway threshold (not destination) I set my speed to 160 knots and flaps 3 for Airbuses or 20º for Boeings (25º for the 737)

And finally, at 6NM from the runway threshold, I set final approach speed (between 130 kts and 150 kts) and full flaps (if the runway is long enough there is the possibility of landing an Airbus with flaps 3 or a Boeing with flaps 25º (30º for the 737))

1 Like

11000ft 240kts

1 Like

At that speed I’d be ready to say bye to my wings if I dare touched the flap lever.

1 Like

Honestly, it varies on personal preference. If a person deems they can slow down enough (whatever distance/altitude they may choose), then that’s totally up to them. I don’t think any airlines have published procedures on when to deploy flaps.

2 Likes

Aircraft do, at least for speed.

As for altitude, I usually start to bring them out at 6 to 7000 because I’m usually at the ILS cone by 4500 or so.

3 Likes

Yes but we shouldn’t forget that these are often the maximum speeds you can fly with the specific flaps settings. That means for example the A320 isn’t allowed to fly fast than 177kts with flaps full.

3 Likes

This is true. A little misleading in my response which I’ll fix.

1 Like

Thank you very much everyone!

I usually do intervals of 20 for my flaps so. 140knts 5nm out, 160knts 10nm out, 180knts 20nm out, etc.

1 Like

At or below 10,000ft should be when you deploy flaps. Typically, I start below 230kts.

1 Like

Honestly…I fly the 777 alot so I just go 5°, 15°, then 30° once on final

1 Like

Oh yes, at least I’ve seen the difference. One of the airline I took didn’t extend any flaps until on final (which is said to preserve fuel as its a low cost airline), whilst the other start configuring flaps far away from touch down.

1 Like

Flaps are only for speed to keep from reaching high angles of attack and to prevent stall as well as to increase the angle of approach without increasing airspeed. They are not determined by altitude or distance.

That being said you are expected to be at certain altitudes and speeds at certain distances.

I use 200kts at 10NM on final for straight in or on downwind to drop some flaps usually.

1 Like

Because I fly to airports that have different elevations I base my flap extensions on my speed and not my altitude.
220kts Flaps 1 / 5 degrees
200kts Flaps 1+F / 10 degrees
180kts (below 180kts gear down) Flaps 3 / 15 degrees
160kts Flaps 4 / 25 degrees
150kts full flaps, final approach speed.

It’s worked out for me pretty well so far.
These are more like guidelines though.

1 Like