WestJet starting an Ultra Low Cost Carrier in Canada

Apparently, WestJet wants to start a new airline in Canada itself. Considering the fact that it’s already a low cost carrier doing well in the market, I am surprised to see if this succeeds. More on it here:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/20/westjet-ultra-low-cost-carrier/

1 Like

WestJet started as a low cost carrier but their prices have gone up significantly. I think they want to split brands so they can better take on AC and AC Rouge.

3 Likes

Not to mention, theres been a few other “ultra-lowcost” carriers like Newleaf coming about in Canada, this move is targeted for them as well.

2 Likes

But the new airline is going to be a No- Frills carrier so I don’t see it competing with Rouge. However it could attract people by its low prices.

1 Like

This will be interesting to follow. TBH I wouldn’t want to see WestJet create a ultra low-cost carrier. It doesn’t fit to the image of their airline.

1 Like

Interesting, that might help bring down airfares slightly. It would certainly help if I’m not paying $50 in airport improvement fees everytime I fly.

2 Likes

I feel stupid for asking this but what will the name be?? I read the article and it did not say?

1 Like

“Patience is the key to the Game.”

1 Like

JestWet

Be patient, we don’t know

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the information

I know that I was reading your patience thing

2 Likes

I guess Canada Air because of the April fools video

Nope this one is different.

What are they going to call it? Leaf New lol

1 Like

Never Heard of An Ultra-Low-Cost Airline

2 Likes

Ryanair is one of the examples for an Ultra Low Cost Airline ;)

Looking forward for this. I think the competition from Rouge has forced WestJet to take this step

3 Likes

And Spirit too! Like Air Asia.

1 Like

I’m not sure about Spirit but AirAsia isn’t an ULCC ;)

1 Like

Southwest of Canada?

2 Likes

They should go with Maple Air…that name wins on so many levels. Callsign “Syrup”

3 Likes