I’ve always wanted to try this… (this flight and making a story/photo thread)
This morning around 1130 Zulu on the Expert Server, I flew the 737-800 (Westjet) across the pond, departing from EGLL (London, UK) and arriving at CYHM (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) an airport just outside of Toronto, Ontario - a Westjet mini-hub close to where I live.
All the warning bells went off that I wouldn’t make it due to fuel/range concerns before I departed, however I had determination and confidence (with a little step climb executed). I ended up arriving in CYHM after 7h 57mn of transatlantic flight with 29% fuel remaining! I could have made it even further west to Edmonton or Calgary! I don’t think this particular Westjet 737-800 model meets the standard for ETOPS - so luckily we had no engine problems over the ocean. 😉
I always liked that acronym - “Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim”
…or whatever it stands for…
📷 Next slide please…
- Holding short Taxiway N8 for 09R departure @ EGLL while an Aer Lingus A350 touches down with some heavies in the background heading to N11 for departure.
- A little reverse shot showing that gorgeous Aer Lingus livery on the A350 (love those winglets)
- “Westjet 519, line up and wait Runway 09R”, “Roger, line up and wait 09R Westjet 519” - oOooOoo look at that Air France 777!
- Goodbye Heathrow! (Insert London Fog joke here)
- Sun setting over the Atlantic
(or is it rising? can’t tell anymore… I’m tired)
- The sun was rising, also - abruptly woke up by the FO - it’s windy in Ontario, 27kts eek… Time to break out the trusty autoland - using the ILS 12 approach, I’m barely awake.
- Short final - the 12 passengers on board are about to get woken up by this slammer onto #12 CYHM… (whoops… could have fit more PAX on this thing)
- Landing. It wasn’t that bad! jk… it was a huge SLAMMER LOL!
Better reverse thrust, going a little fast. (Nice shot of that Canadian flag!)
- At the gate, waiting for some stairs and my breakfast.
- Final arrival mapping after touchdown via LiveFlight… Great App!!
📷 Next slide please…
No more slides, so yeah… thanks for checking this out!
Albeit not the greatest photos, it sure was fun taking the 737-800 across the pond - wondering if I’d make it the entire time. No swimming today!