Went flying... again!

65X was in for repair so we opted to take N40842, a 1973 Piper Warrior III(PA-28-151) It was gorgeous today despite the turbulence.

12 Likes

Always a pleasure reading your flying experiences! You must love being in the air free of anything in your path :D

1 Like

Besides all the iron birds coming in and out and watching for traffic being handled by Atlanta Center, it’s pretty nice.

1 Like

Wow! What are the runway orientations?

Hope you had fun! Who dosnt like flying right!

1 Like

23L/23R are the ones that are typically used by the airport. Fantastic headwind but it got kinda sketchy up in the air.

1 Like

That’s crazy. Did you have a CFI or did you go alone?

Oh I had an instructor with me, today was only my 3rd hour in the logbook.

1 Like

Wow. This is just me but I wouldn’t fly/take a student up flying with wind gusting 32 knots. I know it was right down the runway but still

2 Likes

We did some PPL maneuvers too, S turns, turning on a point, smooth climbs and descents, pattern work. I trusted myself and my instructor was ready to turn back just in case things got too severe.

2 Likes

Wow. Imma be honest and say that’s not the best learning environment. A student pilot shouldn’t b flying in 32 knots winds no matter if you had instructor or not

Agree to disagree. I’d rather learn how to handle harsh wind conditions with an experienced instructor rather than waiting until I’m flying solo to just guess at it.

1 Like

Agree to disagree but as someone who’s flown in it countless times I won’t do it ever again

1 Like

I agree completely.

They must’ve used 23L, as 05L/23R is closed by NOTAM.

Given the conditions, that’s a 27 knot headwind and a 4 knot crosswind from the left. Not conditions suitablable for learning at the 3 hour student level.

1 Like

That’s some fun flying!
Glad you went out hopefully you had a great lesson! Those winds are pretty fun I’m in ground school at work and we’re talking about landing in crazy winds like that lol

1 Like

Understandable, but I won’t ever be able to learn how to handle winds like that if I don’t experience it hands on myself.

05L/R and 23R are rarely used at TYS. 23L is used 90% of the time.

1 Like

I agree! When I was learning my instructor would go past like 10 to start but slowly bumped it to 15

Upload that pic to jet photos to get it ok n fr24 if you’d like.

1 Like

I think it really depends on the area you are flying in. When I was out west when it was windy every day, flying in 15-30knot gust winds was just part of what you signed up for. You’d have to fly early in the morning and a few days a month if you wanted super calm conditions.

3 Likes