Welcome to the 2nd highest airport in the US

Welcome to beautiful Telluride, Co where the airport sits atop a mesa (table) at 9,069 feet with a cliff on one end and surrounded by peaks up to 14,000 feet on the other end. Challenging both mentally and physically, but oh so worth it.

Now that ski season is upon us, I will be coming here quiet a bit for work and pleasure.

Hands down one of the most challenging approaches I have done, although I will say Aspen, Co with the right weather combo is the toughest I have ever done to date.

Weather closed in real quick and usually does at mountainous airports. Eagle, Co , Aspen, Co and Telluride, Co just to name a few I’ve been to.

The infamous Mt Wilson aka the mountain shown on the Coors Light beer can.

53 Likes

This is pretty cool, its neat to see these magnificent airports that aren’t that popular.

2 Likes

That’s exactly part of the reason why I love this side of aviation. GA got me to fall in love with flying to small unique FBOs and to me, regional flying took that passion out of me, so turned to the “dark side” if you will and fell in love all over again.

1 Like

Now here’s a name I haven’t seen in a while. Hope all is going well dude! Beautiful photos. 🙂

9 Likes

This is amazing, it’s great to keep up with your aviation journey and see how it’s changed. Glad to see that you are truly happy now!

3 Likes

Haha! How are you doing mate? All is going well with me. Zero complaints on my end. Haha. Been busy flying (surprisingly for a 133/91 gig). Blocking almost the same as my regional friends. Plus I am greedy and pick up bonus trips. Haha

1 Like

Thank you so much for that. I really am, but the journey continues 😊 so much to see and so little time 😊

2 Likes

My parents lived in Telluride for a while and we plan to all visit soon. Airport looks awesome from what I have seen. Flew there recently in IF via C208. Thanks for sharing your photos!

1 Like

Lucky parents. Telluride reminds me of Switzerland. Beautiful all year round. Great lakes used to go in and out of there but now it’s just botique air that does regular service from Denver but at a hefty price. Haha.

Anytime 😊

3 Likes

Missing Telluride! Remember doing the Flight Simulator X mission but the real thing is much more legit.

1 Like

X will definitely get you prepared for the next real deal

2 Likes

I love these photos. And thanks for the fun fact, I’ll be sure to check it out!

1 Like

Thank you and anytime 😊

1 Like

Nice. Glad to hear things are going well. I’m thinking of jumping back into Part 91/135 ops. Just not feeling the 121 anymore.

4 Likes

They were in and out before it boomed and got pricey. Double lucky I’d say, haha.

1 Like

I personally have not been to Telluiride’s airport but because I live right between the two, I go to Eagle’s and Aspen’s airport all the time.

1 Like

oh you know im ready for my ifr rating in a Learjet once I get 5 stars on that mission

1 Like

We’re hiring ;)

3 Likes

I know. I looked already. 😂 Got a few slots open.

4 Likes

If ya wanna come up I’ll put a good word in for yea! (Or anyone looking for an Ak experience)

1 Like