Weird SimBrief routing

So I was getting a flight plan for EHAM-TNCC, and I got this flight plan, from fpltoif.com, is there any specific reason why it has such a weird route?

1 Like

Sometimes flight plans have weird routes that need fixing.

1 Like

Probably because there are established ocean crossing routes (I forget what they’re called) that aircraft must fly. SimBrief is based in real-world routing rules, so if you’re flying to England, that’s probably why.

1 Like

Pardon me, that’s not England! Oops!

I know the North Atlantic tracks exist, it’s just that this seems super inefficient

It could be due to the United States closing their borders that it’s taking you away from the coast. Not sure on the actual US border situation as I’m Australian.

1 Like

It maybe could also be trying to give you the most tailwind possible. Less fuel, less time!

1 Like

But going east to west is a lot of HEADWIND and they are strooong

Oh! I thought you were going West to East! Yeah, in that case, that is a lot of headwind… huh, that’s really weird

1 Like

The only thing I can think of is something similar to @Qantas094’s reply

2 Likes

I think that this is just for the sake of efficiency where this fpl may be better compared to another. In this situation the it guides you north to the NAT to get good winds compared to maybe higher winds on an airway that’s at the coast where you’ll slow down overall. Plus it could be that the winds in between that direct path north were weak enough to make the routing efficient.

1 Like

I’m by no means an expert on this topic, but is it possible that this FPL was at a time when there was a storm over the Atlantic?

While Simbrief is based off of real-life routes, they’re not always accurate. Just use common sense; in a real situation you would request direct to one of the waypoints so you wouldn’t waste as much fuel + time.

Can’t be the reason, lots of other flights still in the area. And even if the United States closes its borders, it doesn’t mean aircraft can’t overfly the country’s airspace. It may be for some other reason that I’m not sure, but it probably isn’t that

2 Likes

Yes it usually does that if you plan the route through fpltoif.com
The best thing to do is to plan the route through simbrief.com
This allows you to select the route from multiple route choices and you can pick the one that suits you best. After you plan the route on IF you can transfer it to fpltoif.com by going to https://fpltoif.com/simbrief_classic

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.