Weird Artic Airport

I was doing some practice approaches/landings in the Northern Canada-Greenland area when I stumbled upon this weird airport… It’s CYLT and the airport is called “Alert”, however, I found it a bit weird that the airport seems to be floating on the ocean rather than actual land. Does anyone know if this is a possible glitch or if there’s a back story behind this airport?

1 Like

This is likely a glitch. Try clearing your scenery cache then go back to the same airport and report back to us

3 Likes

Top secret base shhh

6 Likes

Same result

2 Likes

Hmmmm…ok then its the fact that we don’t have scenery for that area (yet)

1 Like

It’s real! Given it’s 830 miles from the North Pole, the scenery is likely 500m resolution. Because it’s right next to the water, it shows up black.

Source/Link

8 Likes

Looks cool, It’s a Canadian Air Force base. I think its some sort of weather station? Not sure.

2 Likes

Oh wow, It looks really cool though.

2 Likes

Its the northermost airport as far as I know. As the ice is probably pretty dynamic in this region and IF is somewhat inaccurate in the northern and southermost hemisphere of the globe, this isnt a glitch but rather a inaccuracy of the map provided by the source.

2 Likes

Thanks, because I did notice that they fully equipped Antarctica with the ice region but I was wondering what led to this one.

1 Like

Global warming…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.