Weight make a difference

Can a aircraft speed be lower if you have a heavy aircraft because im flying at 379 kts where I use to fly 477kts on a 777-200 with 356 pax and 14 h fuel on board and 5400 kg cargo would it make a difference.

1 Like

For cruise speed it wouldn’t, no. For takeoff and approach speed it would, yes.

In Cruise the optimal cruising level is highly influenced by weight though.

2 Likes

Because on my map radar its not picking up speed and im doing a night flight hopefully burning some fuel would help.

1 Like

Your Ground Speed (visible on the map) might well be influenced by wind conditions. If you are at cruise, the Mach number is important. Set it to M0.84 or something like it via the autopilot and you should be fine!

1 Like

Are you talking ground speed? It sounds like maybe a really strong headwind?

That’s what I also thought now because im taking off from Auckland to Heathrow and the wind started picking up strong might be

1 Like

I usually do M0.81 makes me use a good amount of fuel because I worked out id be landing in hong kong at 11:15AM on my Infinite flight map it changed to 12:20AM most probably a head wind.

1 Like

If your in a heavy plane M.81 is a bit slow if you able to try fly a bit faster to reduce the risk of stall

2 Likes

Standard cruise speed of B777 is M0.84
M0.78 for B737 and A320 family
M0.85 for B787 and A350 family
as well.

1 Like

That’s somewhat too slow IRL, so speeding up a bit probably wouldn’t hurt.

This might well explain the low speed displayed on the map, as the wind influences the ground speed, not the TAS (air speed) not the Mach number.

1 Like

So I actually found out what was wrong M0.81 was fine with the flight it seems with that speed I had a strong headwind and it seems to make it slower but what I was scared of is since I had an hours reserve fuel left I was scared my fuel was gonna burn quicker using my reserve fuel so I kept it at M0.81 because I could see my fuel burning quick against the head wind but lucky I got out of it an the plane picked up normal speed thanks for all the help guys.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.