Weight & Balance; Ya got to Check/Set it every Sortie!

Weight & Balance; Ya got to Check/Set it every Sortie! I’ve followed the comments for awhile and note the repeaters. One common repeater is instability in flight, inability to keep the nose up on Approch or a late Flare causing the nose wheel to touch down first or a tail strike just before your controlled crash with the stall warning horn blaring ect. Let me suggest it not always improper trim, flap setting, angle of attach etc its improper loading and weight distribution which causes an off balanced center of gravity or over gross forward or aft situation. I recommend checking the “Weight & Balance” node which is located on the Calibration/Time of Day Screen in Live. Make sure you distribute the cargo between holds (Pits) (the rear holds on most commercial aircraft holds the most and routinely run aft from the root). Take on only enough fuel + a reserve for the planned route to be flown and 200 lbs body/baggage wt per Pax… Finally consider the Gross Weight at Push Back. Two weights are shown,Max/Landing Gross. If you take off at Max Gross insure you adjust for fuel burn enroute. Your Landing weight must always be at or below the Landing Gross. Fly smart and for real, Just Sayin, Max Sends

3 Likes

For each aircraft I have a weight of which I know the most important V speeds and additives (found in the web).
It’s always a typical landing weight.

@Laurens… Well done brother! Max Sends

So true Maxmustang. I fly both radio controlled and real airplanes and the most critical element of a good flying airplane is weight and proper balance. I was able to solve most of my flare problems with the IF 172 by lightening the fuel load, removing the front seat passenger and adding a back seat passenger to make it a little more tail heavy. Too tail heavy and it becomes unstable so you have to play with the back seat passenger to get it right. I still think it needs a little more elevator throw but it flys much better with those adjustments.

2 Likes

I couldn’t help but throw a thought in there…

Hwdale, I noticed that you fly radio controlled aircraft! I wanted to let you know that I do this as well! I’m sure the both of us understand the sentiment of weight and proper balance… Goodness knows that I’ve suffered through some of that in the past.

I have an Eflite Diamante 25e, and the thing took quite some balancing with a 5S battery… Truth be told, I threw a 32 size motor in it instead of the recommended 25 size… Needless to say, it went ballistic. I clocked it at 120 miles per hour on a built-in GPS to the receiver.

This is where balancing came in- I had to position the battery to compensate for the massive amount of sheer force that would drive the plane up. Needless to say, I got the “sweet” spot in. Flies very nice, all thanks to proper balancing! I have to guess that it weighs maybe… 3 1/2 to 4 pounds?

Anyhoo, it’s all about shifting that weight. Personally, I would prefer flying a plane that’s nose-heavy than ones with tail-heavy setups (also applies to RC planes- you’ll be thankful for nose-heavy setups on maiden flights).

@hwdale, If you’re ever up for chatting about R/C planes, just shoot me a message! I’m kind of surprised to find a radio-control user on here, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Joshua I think I have learned more flying RC airplanes than from flying the real thing. Things like trim, weight and balance, torque, etc. really matter on a model aircraft. I have flown just about any kind of rc planes you can think of, up to and including turbine powered jets. My latest is a turbine powered glider.

I assume you are familiar with sites like RCUniverse. A great place if you want to discuss anything about RC flying.

1 Like

@hwdale

Yeah… Flying R/C airplanes really gives you an up-close sense of what’s occurring in there. Goodness knows that I’ve done loads of trimming when maidening my various planes. Heck, I have this ME-262 with an incredible amount of torque thrust- it just goes incredibly ballistic straight up when the throttle is just even above 50%. I think I’ll have to add a little bit of nose weight to compensate- I already have the 5S 4500 shoved all the way to the front.

It’s all about finding the right mixture. I’m getting 2,000 watts and 120 amps out of both 70mm fans, so you can see the ME-262’s urge to go straight up…

Anyway, it’s great to hear that you’ve flown just about every kind of R/C plane! A friend of mine at the field has a turbine jet- a KingCat, to be more exact. I wasn’t aware that there were many turbine powered gliders out there- they’re not even existent in my area.

I fly electric planes only- the maintenance and cost appeals to me. I’m not one to clean gas off glow planes, or bother to go through the annoying process of starting them up. Electrics for me- 100% for life.

And yes, I’m familiar with those sites. Personally, I use RCGroups. Some discussions in there are quite noteworthy to look at.

Good day!

-Stik

You cant control individialu weight in seperate tanks can you?

You can control weight in separate tanks. In the weight/balance menu, un-click the “Synchronize” button (Bottom right IIRC) and do whatever you want with the weight.

Long live the DC-9!