Wednesday spotting in the Rio de Janeiro, Brazil area ( BRAZILIAN SPRING BREAK GATEWAY SPOTTING )

Greetings from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! 🇧🇷👋 today I decided to dedicate today to solely plane spotting around the city since I’m an aviation geek so I have to save one day on my trips for plane spotting if I have time of course and since I have a 8 days here in Rio, of course I picked a day to spot and I decided to squeeze BOTH of Rio’s airports it one for those unaware, Rio has 2 airports the main one Galieao Intl serving most of every major Brazilian city and even neighboring countries along with ALL long haul flights to North America, Europe and Asia and than there is the infamous Santos Drumont airport which I call “The Latin American London City” due to its location within Rio and the challenging approaches from BOTH sides to avoid terrain and buildings, very strict operations and once you land, you only have a 4,341ft runway to work with. Yes that’s almost 1,000ft less than 1 mile and it’s even slightly shorter than the RWY at LCY 😂 and surprisingly, A LOT more aircraft are authorized to land here than there are at LCY like the Boeing 737-800 and Airbus A320 are BANNED from LCY but can perfectly fly into SDU with a shorter runway but noise is another issue. But now that I’ve introduced the airports I’ll be spotting at today, let’s get into it!

HOUSTON we have a problem 😂 but seriously, there isn’t much places to spot around these airports especially SDU but I managed to locate a rental boat stand not far from my AirBnb and rented myself a little fishing boat and got to GIG just as this United Airlines Boeing 767-300 came in after its flight from you guessed it, Houston! 🇺🇸🤠

Now there aren’t any truly amazing spots here around GIG so I mostly stayed on the boat for all my captures and I always wanted a belly shot and here is my 1st one of a LATAM Airbus A321 coming in from São Paulo, the nations biggest city!

GOL Incoming! Decided to get a much closer shot of the nose of this aircraft! Hope these people enjoyed their flight from Brasilia, the nations CAPITAL despite popular belief.

Azul with their interesting looking Airbus A320 coming in from Recife. Another Brazilian coastal city which I’ll be visiting in June after the Maldives 🇲🇻🏝️ and even getting to try BOTH of their Economy AND Business products so stay tuned for that!

GOL returns with ANOTHER B738 this one instead coming from beautiful Buenos Aires, Argentina! 🇦🇷 this time I wanted a normal shot though but that will wrap it up for GIG now let’s get moving to SDU!

Here is that tough approach I told you about already in action! Now you’ll be seeing a common theme with this airport, it mostly serves flight to and from São Paulo but not Guarulhos airport instead the smaller Congonhas airport, another small airport in the middle of the city along with short runways nothing can go wrong right? Yeah no back in July 2007, a TAM A320 overran the runway and crashed into a TAM building killing everybody on the plane. Despite this, CGH still manages to me the 2nd busiest airport in the country behind GRU. Anyways, here comes this GOL B738 coming in from Congonhas, these pilots must be extremely skilled!

Azul pulls up again but still time with a much smaller Embrear E190 and we just happen to be in the country where these planes are made but these guys are coming in from CGH also!

LATAM has been summoned again with their A319 after ANOTHER flight from CGH.

If I got a dollar every time I saw a GOL plane, I’d be LIVING IN HAWAII 🏝️🐢🌺 instead of Florida 🏝️🐊🍊 and yet again, another CGH → SDU flight 💀 went for another belly shot and saw this Wi-Fi symbol below for some reason but does this plane actually have Wi-Fi? I will never know.

Another Azul E190 but whats different about this one? Well this one believe it or not came from another airport, Viracopos airport in the city of Campiñas were Azul mainly operates out of both domestically and internationally and they also even offer long haul routes to Fort Lauderdale 🏝️🛥️ Orlando 🐭🏰 Paris Orly, France 🇫🇷 and Lisbon, Portugal 🇵🇹 them and GOL are the ONLY airlines operating out of VCP so definitely a smaller airport. But anyways, hope you enjoyed my finds out here in Rio stay tuned for my return home Saturday night and as always between now and the next time, see you in the sky! 😉👋

11 Likes

This is really good I can’t wait for your return flight. I will be looking forward to hearing all about it.

1 Like

Nice tripreport!

2 Likes