Weather so severe shuts off autopilot?

I am now on a flight inbound KJFK from EGKK (you can still see me on the radar as JetBlue 44 A321). I was flying on the southern track where its speeds were at peak 174KTS! And it was so severe that my little plane kept smashing to every side, but not that it disconnected the A/P. Right now I am kind of regretting my choice of NAT (North-Atlantic tracks). I should have instead followed the In-game tracks up north tracking over Greenland. But it is what it is, I guess.

2 Likes

I remember that day. It was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen! 🤣😂

I wish I would have saved the replay.

1 Like

Maybe I’d have to go looking for it - storm chaser? Even then I wonder if there are limits on how much IF aircraft react to the most severe weather?

1 Like

So was it stand out more intense than maybe the average turbulence you experienced?

2 Likes

The worst turbulence ive experienced in IF was flying into a hurricane a few months ago. I went around to face 100kt winds. The turbulence was so bad that i was pulling 2gs and then dropping to 0gs mind you this was in a 737-800. Another time I was flying from KPHX-KLAS in a 737-700 and the turbulence was very fast paced like the wing was jerking up and down really fast. None of these were even close to disengaging the autopilot. During severe turbulence like that the autopilot isnt in full control of the plane tho.

1 Like

I remember a weather update causing every plane to fall out of the sky, the temperature had to have been in the billions, my plane just dove straight into the Pacific Ocean

1 Like

It can be categorised as Extreme or Super Extreme mega/giga 1000 turbulence! Juts kidding! For real it was Extreme, and my speed in GS were so slow as 302kts!

1 Like

lol. that track always has Severe winds. i think it might be an issue on IF’s side because I know that doesn’t happen IRL

1 Like

i think its a mix of both

lol " dead flies."

This has happened to me before and I was doing a Southwest B737-800 flight from KLAX-KSFO and I had 125 pas, 20% Fuel, and 27% Cargo. this was IF 21.1 update and halfway through the flight I encountered heavy winds and the AP disengaged so I re-engaged it and it when into disengage even though it was still engaged and it started to nose dive and stall with it losing -100 FPM and I had to do the rest of the flight 30MINS without it.
-MRFOXY09

2 Likes

The thing is that the track provided at Flightplandatabase.com was like 400Nm South of the Greenland’s tip, which was in favour of planes bound eastwards! And since my flight went westwards I was stuck at 174 kts to my face which resulted in excessive maneuvers of the plane! I should have planned along Greenland as the wind there was way more balanced in terms of speed and ETE to dest, the wind above Greenland were at that time around 70kts peak to 45-55 kts headwind!

weird. that is very strange. i think it is because there is the high altitude ice caps that then create turbulent air.

1 Like

Yes! As the weather system in Infinite Flight is very accurate when you compare it to windy.com. And there were like -30+ degrees at that time! I also step-climbed from FL320 to FL360, then to FL380, and to FL400 where I noticed that the fuel flow raised dramatically, so I descended back to FL380 for my final cruise altitude until KJFK! So mostly it was pilot error that led to excessive maneuvers. But this was kinda off-topic so let’s stick back to the topic!

I remember that. My plane crashed and I didn’t know why because I haven’t touched anything. I checked the replay and I went from 36,000 to 0 in 30 seconds because it was 2B degrees.

I can only imagine that most of the atmosphere reaching fusion temperatures would drop the density rather abruptly % - )

1 Like

flying at FL370, PHNL from HAAB as i type this the B77F is weathering 144kts headwind, the plane is violently rocking about, A/P has yet to de-activate, and this has got to be THE choppiest skies I’ve ever encountered.

2 Likes

That’s pretty good, the description of the intensity you experienced but with the with the autopilot staying engaged. It sounds like the autopilot is pretty robust. But I was reading irl about autopilots actually making the flight more uncomfortable, it trying to overcontrol at times. And also the different modes for irl autopilots in trying to deal with this. Like sometimes it’s best to shut off the auto throttle etc.

Just as a side note, you mention KPHX. Years ago I was on a real flight into KPHX from LAX. Worst thunderstorm turbulence of my life. On approach it felt like it was not possible to land. When we actually made it down, everyone cheered. But walking to my car I could hardly stand up in the wind. Have to admit I was pretty shaken for a good while after that.

1 Like

So this is the first case I’ve read where the weather disengaged the autopilot? You weren’t close to stall speed or anything? I mean, your loading sounded not too heavy.

1 Like

Honestly that sounds fun (I really like turbulence). Also sorry it was supposed to KPHX not pdx.