We Remember 9/11

Hey Everyone, it’s been a while since my last post but I thought I should draw this for anyone on the IFC or real life that we’re first responders, victims, or family of victims of the 9/11 attacks.

88 Likes

I just read a very somber story on a Facebook page - The Owner said we could share his story

This isn’t my photo or story we had permission share this

Back story to this picture: Those who know me personally know that I flew for the NYPD Aviation Unit. Retiring as a Lt. in 2004, I was working in midtown on 9/11. This picture was taken soon after the first collapse of WTC. The NYPD responded soon after the first airplane struct the first Tower. After surveying the rooftop for victims, it was apparent that no victims made it to the roof. The Port Authority locked the doors to the roof after the 1993 WTC bombing. The NYPD lifted dozens of people that morning. On 9/11, one police helicopter was nearly struck by the second aircraft as it passed beneath them before hitting the building. The crew noticed that the top floors where collapsing ( you can see from the picture). The helicopter was positioned in Liberty State Park on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River until the remaining tower collapsed. The was no one to rescue…

78 Likes

9/11 a day that every American shall never forget. We stand together as one country. It’s times like this when I love America

16 Likes

Yes it is tragic. I saw a movie of 9/10 “The Final Moments” and it’s nice how they respect it by putting
lights, representing the twin towers image

8 Likes

I edited this comment

1 Like

That was not my story, the owner is Vin B.

3 Likes

This is such a sad event. Every year this is a really tragic thing to remember. My parents friends were in NY when in happened right next to the twin towers. It sound like a horrible event. We will all remember the ones who sacrificed their life’s for others and everyone involved in the event

4 Likes

I wasn’t even born when this happened, however the stories I’ve hear is truly heartbreaking… Even though I was not able to witness this unfortunate event, the people whom perished will always remain in our hearts…

They will always be remembered.

13 Likes

I wonder how the world would have been if this never happened,

Would it be a better world…?

But maybe this was going to happen no matter what to show us how much security we need in the modern world…

4 Likes

A couple of thousand people would be home with their loves one tonight for sure if this event didn’t happen

9 Likes

It’s crazy how this changed security everywhere

2 Likes

If this hadn’t happened, we would be way less secure like we are now. Airport security would be less and less. America always thought we’d never have this happen to us until September 11th. Now we are fully aware

1 Like

The events that unfolded that day are horrific my thoughts go out to the victims and to their families and to all those affected by this tragedy

1 Like

From France we were shocked. I’m speechless sorry.

2 Likes

It terrifies me every time I see a clip of the towers collapsing. Couldn’t imagine how all the victims families felt. It is heartbreaking

2 Likes

This was the day that shaped us and how we think, It started a war… It changed us… It changed families… It changed friends…

God Bless them and their families.

Its heartbreaking people have made theories about 9/11. Thousands of people didn’t eat dinner that night.

1 Like

All around the world was affected.

Cantor Fitzgerald, a small but powerful stocks and shares marketing company, suffered a full on blow to their New York offices. Richard Yun Choon Lee, his life explained as below:

About Richard

Born on the 4th of July in Washington DC, Rich Lee’s life was an example of the American dream and personification of our national values; strength, endurance, and hard work, tempered by kindness and generosity.
Raised in Hawaii, Rich attended Punahoa (’86) where he excelled at academics, sports and music. He went on to Yale (’91) where he majored in political science concentrating on US-Soviet policy. At 6’4, 240lbs, an ex Punahou and Yale football player, his physical strength was visible to all, but his true strength lay in his compassion, intelligence, loyalty and determination to leave all he touched the better for his being there.
He was instantly likeable and fun to be around. Some of his many talents included playing bass guitar, singing and composing music in his bands in high school and college. While at Yale, he also found time to start a student snack bar, and to win forever the heart of his college sweetheart, Karen Engelke Lee (’91) whom he married in 1992. He was a voracious reader with diverse interest from philosophy, mathematics, and engineering to pop culture, His fascination with building and engineering solutions turned to software.
He went on to specialize in systems development for financial institutions such as Salomon Smith Barney, NatWest, Bankers Trust and Cantor Fitzgerald, where he was managing director, most recently CIO of the Equities Technology division.
According to Mike Westlake, a co-worker from Cantor Fitzgerald/e-speed’s UK office: [I believe my father]
“Rich … paid attention to detail, he documented processes and why they worked a certain way and built in reliability to his solutions. It was this attention to detail that ended up being one of his key legacies to eSpeed and Cantor Fitzgerald. Rich initially managed central development; covering middle, back office and financial systems, before changing roles to manage equities technology globally. Following the WTC disaster these applications were up and running to full capacity by the time the markets were back in action. Given the enormity of the disaster in both people and infrastructure terms this is an outstanding achievement which was only made possible due to the processes which Rich had been so influential in implementing.”

A tireless worker who routinely put in 14hr days, Rich was always the one people turned to get a seemingly impossible task done. Rich never lost sight of the people he worked with and was dedicated to the growth and development of every member of his team. He strove to be the type of manager and mentor he would have wanted himself and to make a normally stressed work environment enjoyable. His hard work, humor, warmth, enthusiasm and up-beat nature inspired people to do their best while earning him the universal respect and admiration of his staff and peers.

As dedicated as he was to work, he was utterly devoted to his family and friends, especially his wife of over 9 years and their young son. Rich would call and e-mail home a dozen times a day, sending electronic greeting cards with his wonderful humor each morning. The walls of his office on the 104th floor of Cantor Fitzgerald/e-speed were papered with the hundreds of photos of his adored 22-month-old son which his wife regularly e-mailed to him throughout the day. He looked forward to reading aloud to his little boy and bathing him each evening after work. He spent his free time lovingly creating video CDs documenting his son’s growth, which he proudly sent out to his many friends and colleagues. Just 2 months ago, the young family moved into their dream home where they planned to have more children and grow old together. Rich had thrown himself into woodworking, avidly building toy chests and bookshelves for his son’s playroom.

On September 11, as usual, Rich was at his desk before 6am, having already talked to his London office [My father was on live telecom with him. A TV showing regular News was also on.] from home in the early hours of the morning. Just after the plane’s impact, he called his wife to calmly reassure her and ask her to give his cell phone number to emergency workers in his typical can-do manner hoping to lead his group to safety. However, when the police tried his cell phone 5 minutes later, there was no answer. For those that knew him, the enormity of his loss is unbearable, but they know his spirit lives on through the tremendous impact he had on other and his lasting contributions to the world.

Credit
He was also featured on Hawaii News Now
And Yale News

My father was on a live telecom to Richard, as well as watching the News live on TV. As he was talking he heard the aircraft smash into the tower, before seeing live TV and realising what he was witnessing. For what seemed like hours, they were stuck, as they watched in horror, they could hear it on the telecom, the screams of the workers falling from the sky as they attempted to jump out to safety. The seconds passed like days, and it was until they couldn’t handle it anymore at the London office, that the unplugged the TV and the Telecom. All that was left was to look at each other, knowing what was happening to his boss that he was great friends with…

During that time, his wife (my mother) was picking up here daughter (now 22 and living away since yesterday), suddenly got a phone call in a rushed, scared, scrambled assortment of words, that she didn’t understand, until she was home, and too, saw the News live.

Now every year they host a charity for the missed loved ones at Canady Wharf, London, for this attack. I could only have imagined what he had experienced then…

He was a keen worker. He would be up at 4am for a daily conference call with London, where just about everday the 5 workers there would play a game called ‘buzzword bingo’ where they have to fit a chosen really bizarre word onto the serious conference. 😂. Then he had a 14 hour shift after that.

Cantor Fitzgerald was the most affected company in this attack, the death toll being 812 of the 2,996 people.

I actually have a piece of the Twin Towers with me:

@Helicopterzzz I watched the documentary too 😃

14 Likes

I can’t believe there are still people who believe there was no planes.

9 Likes

yeah, and when I see that kind of stuff it’s actually very offensive. Like some people lost their dad, sister, brother, Grandma etc., and watched it happen, right in front of them with their own eyes, yet these “Theorists” deny that planes were involved, JUST for attention. It’s honestly pretty sickening…

4 Likes

On this day 18 years ago, two Boeing 757s And Boeing 767s were hijacked and crashed over various parts of the United States east coast, 1 went to the Pentagon, two went to the World Trade Centers and one crashed in Pennsylvania. My heart goes out to the Some 2000 people that lost their lives in this tragic event.

Lest We Forget September 11

6 Likes