Wake turbulence

Are controllers (on expert ofc) taking account of this? I was in a 737 and just cleared for immediate take off very close behind a 787 which hadnt even got airborne. In real life that would never happen.

Not criticising the controller, just think we should make Expert as real as possible !

3 Likes

in IF we dont have wake turbulence. so we try to keep traffic moving as effectively as possible.

12 Likes

The focus is to clear out deps, if we are being realistic then we would also hold deps and restrict them to only a few every so often. We can’t be totally realistic :)

14 Likes

You’re right, However there is no wake turbulence in the game. You can basically depart after a 744 and feel nothing.

2 Likes

I know we don’t physically have it but was just thinking of realism.

2 Likes

unfortunately a simulator can only go to an extent, Our atc are people which are willing to spend there time for us, they do a great job but they can wait 30 seconds for an aircraft to takeoff when the is another 10 in the queue, we have to speed things up or people get bothered and leave

4 Likes

True. However I hope it comes in a forthcoming update.

1 Like

ATC will fire off departures while they are still on the runway, we call it “minimum separation”, by the time you drive out onto the runway, the 787 will be airborne and picking up speed. Our job is to anticipate this and make sure traffic flows smoothly.

5 Likes

Actually it’s quite reasonable that a 737 would takeoff in that manner. The 787 will takeoff further down the runway than a 737, meaning that the wake turbulence (as long as the 737 is off the ground in a shorter distance than the 787), will not affect the 737 as much. I’ve seen this in real life involving a 737 and 757.

5 Likes

Personally I will take (the non existent) WT into account (to a degree) if the airport isn’t busy. As others have said when things get busy moving aircraft quickly is the goal.

If you control with the mind of being as realistic as possible, you would end up with a huge queue of impatient pilots. The goal is to get the planes airborne as soon as possible and safely.

2 Likes

Agree with you. Wake turbulence only occurs once the aircraft is generating lift. So if you’re off the ground before the previous aircraft you won’t encounter his wake as you will climb above it as wake turbulence falls away and never rises. Unless you’re in a slow aircraft such as a C172 Citrus etc. Then you can change course once airboune to avoid it.

1 Like

It’s like that one American Airlines crash, after a 747 departed, an A300 crashed.

Well that was exacerbated by pilot error, but yes it was wake turbulence which caused it.

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot that the pilots overused the rudder. Now back on topic.

1 Like

wake turbulence isn’t something ATC currently factors in. However, we do look at aircrafts to determine speeds, turning etc.

Yeah but ATC still protects for wake turbulence IRL. 2 minutes is the required interval for behind a heavy

Can wake turbulence from a 747 cause an issue for a CRJ 200?

Yes, given that the CRJ is in the path of the wake.

Well why do we have Heavy and Super callsigns then?