Wake Turbulence

Is it possible to add wake turbulence effect to enhance pilot skills to next level…

70 Likes

Sounds like a good idea.

Best, Boeing707

3 Likes

Yup makes pilot perform simple technique aside from usual flying

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

12 Likes

Regarding your second line:

This would solve the problem of people approaching the aircraft.

Good luck trying to kamikaze your 737 into a 747. Now that said, in order to make wake turbulence realistic, it would require the addition of parts breaking off the aircraft to be truly realistic/give a result to the pilot’s actions, depending on how he handles the aircraft.

If the shaking of the aircraft post-takeoff were to be countered by a less-experienced pilot, the tail would snap off as we have seen with the American Airlines Airbus A300-600R post-9/11 crash. The pilot encountered wake turbulence from a JAL 747 and countered the swerving motions with his rudder, stressing the airframe far beyond its design limits, breaking the tail off. Hope I got this right, it’s been a while since I last saw the documentary.

In summation, it is great to have the action of wake turbulence, but to make it more realistic and something to teach budding pilots, it would be perfect if The IF devs could add in the worst-scenario.

Best, Boeing707

14 Likes

Love the idea. Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

@Boeing707…very good point there…well said…

1 Like

This would be great for ATC on the advanced server as well. The added challenge of paying attention to weight classes and issuing a “Caution, wake turbulence” call would be sweet.

10 Likes

Wake turbulence is something the game needs really badly! It would scare away the people who fly to close to oneself and it would make formation flights harder and more realistic.

Long live the DC-9!

1 Like

I hear a lot on Live ATC. Caution wake turbulence, what does it mean?

1 Like

@Shea_H the controller is warning the pilot that there are potentially dangerous winds produced by the last plane that turned up the throttle to take off.

2 Likes

Got it, thanks!

1 Like

Or from landing. When flying light aircraft (like a PA38), following jet traffic (like an A320), you would fly a higher approach than the A320 did, and land further down the runway to avoid the wake turbulence.

There’s usually a 3 minute wait for light aircraft to take off if a jet has taken off just prior. So the “Caution wake turbulence” perhaps shouldn’t be used by ATC for light aircraft when taking off?

3 Likes

And the hot air jet effect behind the engines would look great, combined with this, if they are added :)

1 Like

This would be amazing!

2 Likes

Also, to have the true effects of hot air and thermals, the dev’s should also add wing flex. When a plane goes through a wake, the wings always shake. We need to see that in IF.

4 Likes

1 Like

I know, but the wings wobble a bit when going through wake @Rotate

1 Like

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

1 Like