Waiting in line for takeoff

Hi!

This is a sort of random thing, when at a busy, 1-runway airport, what do you guys do when you are waiting in line for takeoff? Usually, I have to wait 5-10 minutes, but usually, everything I need is set, so what is something to pass the time.

Also, on a side note, when there are 2 taxiways connecting to the runway entrance, what is the correct etiquette if a plane is trying to merge, but you are already on tower frequency.

Cheers!

Astreal

1 Like

Usually I’ll spot, or maybe browse the IFC.

2 Likes

Good etiquette for merging is just like cars, you alternate so that everyone can get in. As for waiting for takeoffs you could have a video playing in the background as long as you are still paying attention to what’s goin in around you.

2 Likes

I use my free cam and spot planes around me, looking especially at peoples landings!

2 Likes

I watch planes land and browse topics here.

1 Like

Ideally ATC on the ground should see the intersections and help with the traffic flow by issuing a give way.

Just don’t try to bypass a line on waiting planes by squeezing yourself in. Dont be that pilot.

20 Likes

I usually stop to let them go, but if they don’t move, I usually just go ahead and continue taxing. Is that okay, or should I just wait until they move?

1 Like

If you wait and both of you guys aren’t moving, I would just go ahead so that it doesn’t create a huge backup with aircraft behind you

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for the info!

:D

1 Like

I like to do the same, just checking out aircraft around me on the cam, and checking out their flight plans, oh and of course watching incoming aircraft land.

2 Likes

I usually have Netflix on in the background or music just something. Try not to look at Instagram, IFC, Snapchat, etc as it takes your eyes away from the outside for too long. If you are going to watch videos have it on your phone or other device and flip it over or minimise the tab.

The merging if you give them 15-30secs that’s more than enough and if need be flash your landing lights when it gets a bit late if they don’t move just move :)

2 Likes

I waited in line for 30 minutes and just watched an episode of the Office. People have different ways of passing time. But I recommend watching TV.

4 Likes

Okay, those are awesome recommendations!

Thanks! :D

1 Like

I usualley just have youtube pulled up on my computer, or I usualley just admire my beautiful airplane. Gotta love the new 777

1 Like

I usually check other forms or the IFC. Or I will virtule plane spot ;)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.