WADD as Hub Airport

This is purely my unsolicited and perhaps unpopular opinion, but having WADD as the hub has proved chaotic. The airport has a single runway and only about 20 commercial gates on my count. It seems to me there may have been more suitable airports in the region…

6 Likes

That’s why controllers are allowed to control at other airports in the reigon, like Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. :]

3 Likes

The fact is, it isn’t the hub. WADD might be very popular but it isn’t the hub. The hub today is WSSS which is a lot bigger. Everything else is ATC choice so no it’s not the hub. I would check out the schedule next time 😉

1 Like

The hub has been officially switched to Singapore (WSSS) due to technical issues with the approach frequencies.

Happy flying :)

13 Likes

Ahh, as of last night it was the hub. Apologies, I didn’t notice that it had changed.

1 Like

Like @Thunderbolt said, having no approach frequency is taking it’s toll on the airport flow. If approach was available, controllers could have people in a holding pattern and manage the airport better. A lot of people were supposed to fly in long haul as well and the last minute switch doesn’t help except for short hauls.

2 Likes

That was said nicely @AviationReports, if anyone was flying while Madeira had approach last week it would have been a similar situation to that. Due to the lack of approach the spacing is all off and too much for a tower to handle.

3 Likes

Exactly. It was chaos in WADD and I was worrying a lot coming into land thinking that I would not have a spot to land in. Plus having unicom did not help to much either.

2 Likes

Sometimes IFATC might ditch an airport to let everybody sort it out themselves, it at least seems that way and it does work most of the time.

2 Likes

I would agree, it is a bit small.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.