I’m still somewhat inexperienced regarding VOR and/or DME approaches. For whatever reason I decided to attempt this nightmare of a STAR into Cairo today:
I followed the plate flawlessly:
If it isn’t obvious already I struggled mightily on this approach; thank goodness there was no ATC. This is probably the most trouble an approach has given me. It was so bad that I nearly ran out of fuel and I had to slow down to final approach speeds just to get my stuff together. I have a few questions:
- I need clarity: is course a set radial from the tuned VOR station that you track?
1a. How do I know when to use the course heading or its direct opposite when using VOR?
1b. Are inverse radials, in effect, the same? (ie. are 090 and 270 virtually the same thing?)
- What is the purpose of the blue thin arrows on the hud?
- For the stretch between D40 BLT and D28 CVO was I supposed to track the 025 radial from the FYM VOR?
- That 13 DME arc was a pain to deal with. Is there a way I can figure out what bank angle I should use to stay 13 DME away from CVO?
- What is an MSA circle and how do I read it?