VNAV Tutorial

The Vertical Navigation, or VNAV, function of the Autopilot allows the aircraft to automatically descend, meeting assigned altitudes attached to various waypoints. Whether published in a STAR, manually assigned to a fix, or part of an Instrument Approach, VNAV will constantly work to calculate the correct rate of descent to smoothly meet altitude restrictions with pinpoint accuracy!

Join me in the flight deck as we begin our initial descent, monitor VNAV, and talk about the many features of this Autopilot component!

Note: VNAV is only available for descents at this time

Click below to tune in!

thumbnail

111 Likes

Awesome 👏 thanks Tyler for the great tutorial as always 😊

9 Likes

Great! Thanks, Tyler! 👍

3 Likes

Thank you very much Tyler!

4 Likes

Ooh, we needed this. Thank you Tyler!

8 Likes

Don’t forget, all of these are available now on our Flying Guide! You’ll find tutorials on how to Descend with ATC, Center, Oceanic Flying, and more.

15 Likes

Thank you for the awesome tutorial Tyler!!

3 Likes

Fantastic tutorial Tyler! No wonder they chose you for the tutorials :) Looking forward to what the team has to offer next!
Cign :)

You always grease the landings.

4 Likes

Thanks for watching! I’ve had a lot of practice I suppose. 6.5 years and counting! ;)

18 Likes

Great tutorial Tyler. Should be a great help for those especially trying out 20.1 now. ;)

4 Likes

Thank You T! Can’t wait to finally use VNAV with your instruction!

6 Likes

Amazing tutorial Tyler! VNAV is an awesome feature that not only adds realism to the IF skies, but also lets me sleep in 10 mins extra on those late night/early morning arrivals 😉

Can’t wait for the ascent portion of it to come!

4 Likes

Awesome work Tyler!!

5 Likes

Great work Tyler.

5 Likes

Nice tutorial,it helps me avoid getting more level 1 violations 😂

7 Likes

So we cannot use it for step climbing at the present time. Can we?

3 Likes

Correct step climbing is not programmed as of now!

5 Likes

will VNAV work for climbs in the near future? is it more complicated during climb?

1 Like

Perhaps not in the near future but it is something planned for future versions. It’s a lot more difficult to implement correctly with such a large and diverse fleet, all of which have unique performance characteristics.

4 Likes

isn’t the same true (about unique performance characterisitcs) during descents? honest question, not trying to be annoying lol

1 Like