VNAV descent question

Is my VNAV supposed to be like this

My VNAV did not start descend even when only 10 minutes away from the airport. I was using a 737-800. I read that is is supposed to automatically start descent on the best rate possible. So i decided to start descend manually while VNAV is still on

If anybody knows how to activate and use it properly can you please tell me?

thank you!

All you do is click the VNAV button and your ALT should turn purple! You must have altitudes attached to waypoints though!
Cign :D

2 Likes

yes it does but it did not start descent till 10 mins from destination is that normal? and do i have to set a specific waypoint or something? thank you!

Depends on the altitude attached to the waypoint, your speed and airport elevation, I cannot say without seeing it!

1 Like

ooh ok then thanks! i am not bale to provide a screen shot now sorry

1 Like

I am in a 738 using Vnav now

1 Like

ooh ok is it normal to begin descent very late? cruise speed: .79 mach
alt: 35000ft

How many NM away were you?

1 Like

about 60NM

Lol I was doing a short flight from Mallorca to Valencia. Ryanair’s VNAV is descending at a rate of -800fpm

3 Likes

well when you pick a star then you can pick alt for the waypoint but also some waypoints already have alt

1 Like

no that seems a bit late, it could possibly be the airport elevation or the altitude attached to the waypoint!

1 Like

Yup. I am Rn 70nm away and it’s just fine

1 Like

do we have to manually set vnav? if not, thanks for helping!

Depends on the STAR and if it inputs altitudes for the waypoints for you!

1 Like

Check ur fpl, I have 14000 cruise and 8000 into the fpl rn

1 Like

VNAV descents earlier by using 2ish degree glide slope which it’s usually 3°ish,but it also depends on altitude restrictions of waypoints

1 Like

Exactly, mine is 2.3 deg

1 Like

Yes,you can manually descent by using thumb rule.

1 Like

oh ok guys! THANK YOU so much! 😊

but i am almost out of likes oof

1 Like