Visual Approaches

Hey all!

Here’s the situation:
You: “Apprach/Center, ABC1 request visual approach any runway”
ATC: “ABC1, expect vectors for the visual approach runway XX”
You: acknowledges

You (when field in sight): “ABC1 Has the field in sight”

Now for me, based on my real world experience flying IFR, ATC’s expected reply to the above would be a variation of either “Roger” or “Cleared for the visual approach”.

However, the 3 times this situation has presented itself to me in the wonderful world of Infinite Flight, the response, all 3 times has been “check help pages on how to use ATC”

Now I have some theories, but my question in simple terms to you all is: Why is a pilot in the wrong as soon as they report field in sight especially after being told to expect the visual? This goes against my instrument training, in addition to my experience.

Is this an IFATC specific procedure?

I’m always open to learning more about these things, so I look forward to you lovely people on the IFC to shed a little light for me.

Hope you all are having an awesome week!

Code :)

5 Likes

Did they tell you to report it in sight? You need to wait for them to tell you to report the airport in sight.

4 Likes

Nope they didn’t and I’ll disagree with having to wait for them to ask. It’s a valid question, and probably the reason for the CHP message. Although again, I’m not sure I’m on board with it

1 Like

Yeah… this isn’t really something you’ll get reported for, but in IF the procedure is to follow your FPL or given vectors and to report the airport in sight only after you’ve been told to.

2 Likes

Alrighty. So I guess it is an IFATC specific procedure?

2 Likes

No. There is actually nothing wrong with reporting the field in sight before being told to, also making it easier for the radar controller.

4 Likes

Of the same opinion I am^

However:

1 Like

I stand corrected. Maybe reach out to your controller then if you’d really like to know why you were given a CUG.

3 Likes

I reached out the first time. Kept happening and that’s why I believe it’s not an individual thing, rather how IFATC is trained

1 Like

Perhaps if could give the airport and time that this happened I could find the controller that was handling you at the time?

2 Likes

Nope don’t worry about it my friend - Just generally inquiring not looking to specify situations :)

3 Likes

This is correct. You’re more than welcome to report airport in sight at your own initiative.

If you keep getting CUG for that, feel free to let Tyler or myself know.

11 Likes

Cool thing Josh, thanks! I’ll keep that in mind for next time - Cheers

2 Likes

But what if they report it in sight in the wrong place like on DW

2 Likes

I mean, if you can see it then it’s a valid RAIS. Chances are most people who know how to RAIS know what they’re doing

1 Like

How come it’s wrong to report on downwind?

1 Like

Take a look at this post my radar trainer sent me. It’s not “wrong,” but there are certain positions on the downwind where a pilot can’t see said airport. https://ifatceg.com/when-can-an-aircraft-see-the-airport/

Edit: obligatory thanks to @Will_A for sending me this link

2 Likes

Ohhhh like late downwind. Yeah I mean if you have it in sight you have it in sight if not, you don’t

2 Likes

Precisely.

1 Like

As shown by the following image:

There is no issue with RAIS on downwind in some positions… For example, if on right downwind for 3R, RAIS anywhere in the green is fine as there is a good chance pilots can see the field from that spot.

To answer your second question, if an aircraft RAIS somewhere where they 100% cannot see the airport from cockpit view, I’d personally vector them to a suitable position such as base before asking them to RAIS myself. After them confirming they have visual contact with the field once more, I’d clear them and so on.

screenshot taken by myself.

3 Likes