Vistara merges With India's national career Air India

Also, which conglomerate or carrier wouldn’t want to keep the Air India name and the legacy behind it haha. It’s literally the flag carrier of a nation.

Vistara as a name might cease to exist on the flip side though, if they keep the AI name.

4 Likes

Not gonna happen tbh. No one’s gonna trade a brand name like Air India, a flag carrier for another “airline.”

4 Likes

Yeah,undoubtedly
Regarding Vistara,don’t forget Singapore Airlines also has A 49 percent stake,and hence,I highly doubt they would allow that to happen

2 Likes

And I would think SIA as a corporation/conglomerate would be thrilled to have a name like Air India. You’ve got to also understand the weight that the name carries, along with the logos, callsigns etc. Not to mention how popular the Air India brand is with the majority of the country, as compared to Vistara.This is a very very huge deal.

In all probability, they might happily choose to trade it in for Vistara.

Also given that AirAsia looks set to exit the Indian market in a couple of years, that branch would definitely be keeping the Air India Express name. So I highly doubt Vistara might stay as a brand if it’s merged into Air India.

It is possible, though not probable, that Vistara might be the domestic arm, and Air India International might be the international arm. But that’s kinda unlikely tbh.

2 Likes

they can use the name Air India by Vistara.

1 Like

Or simply: “Air India, a Tata-SIA venture.” Similar to, like, Starbucks in India, which is a Tata company.

And then it’ll most probably stay in Star Alliance too.

2 Likes

Yes but I think they will co brand Vistara

1 Like

When it comes to speculation, this is a pretty good article, check it out. It lays out the various possibilities, citing examples from India and around the world:

4 Likes

This is awesome to see

2 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong, but I haven’t seen anyone else say that Vistara is buying them or that AI will be merged. Tata Sons (the company that owns Tata Group) is buying Air India through another subsidiary they made specifically for this deal, so technically Tata Group is not the owner. Either way, it is good to see AI’s original owner (and arguably the most ethical Indian conglomerate) getting AI.

Just saying, the bigger news headline here would be “Tata Sons wins bid for Air India, a company that it started”.

PS - I found this interesting article by the BBC about Air India’s history.

1 Like

Does that mean AirAsia India will hold Air India’s stake for a few percent? or not?

2 Likes

uhh i dont think so

2 Likes

I’m COO at AVA and thought I’d take Codeshare from them if this really happened, Hahaha

2 Likes

lmao but i dont think AIVA is operatinonal tho

2 Likes

Yes, we can all only hope for the best. Thank you for your answer :D

2 Likes

Welcome home,AI! :maharaja:

1 Like

No,they won’t. This is because the Air India Bid was done by Tata Sons through Vistara which is a partnership of Tata & SIA and hence these 2 entities will take all decisions and actions. Air Asia India is a separate business where Tata group is in partnership with Air Asia Berhad.

3 Likes

Does this mean that if we use this as a reference for us to Codeshare with Air India, it doesn’t make sense?

1 Like

Yes,that’s correct. Air Aisa being a separate business & running a different cost model makes it completely different. Things may change though incase the Tata group decides to take over the whole Air Asia India group (which was in talks earlier) and then may streamline all the 3 carriers as a new entity.

3 Likes

Thank you for helping answer, we’ll see in the future, hopefully they can run better :D

4 Likes