Visiting beatiful islands in the pacific on flight UA132

As a participant in a plane spotting event organized by Kostas_K, I decided to do the flight UA132. This flight begins in Honolulu and then heads west with stops in Majuro, Pohnpei and Chuuk to Guam. The Boeing 737-800 used for this trip needs about 12 hours. I always find such flights very exciting, because on such routes there is a completely different atmosphere than on the typical big city commuter flights. In addition, the landscape is of course something very special, many small islands in the middle of the Pacific.

However, this is not the complete, famous United Island Hopper. That would be flight UA154, which also stops behind Majuro in Kwajalein and Kosrae and is therefore around 4 hours longer.

Server: Expert
Plane: Boeing 737-800 (United)
Route: PHNL-PKMJ-PTPN-PTKK-PGUM

The route, starting in Honolulu.

Preparing the flight at Gate D2. Due to the location of the gate, the pushback is quite long.

Departing from Honolulu, no land will be seen for the next 4 hours

Descending to Majuro, a beatifull atoll with a very special airfield. Majuro is the capital city of the Marshall Islands and has a population of about 20.000 people!

I created a video of the flight leg Honolulu to Majuro, which shows the stunning approach to Majuro.

Already descending to the next island, Pohnpei! It is the largest island in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and has a population of about 37.000 people. The capital city of the FSM Palikir is situated on the northwest side of Pohnpei island.

“Pohnpei Unicom, United 132 is on final, Runway 9”

And the last stop is Chuuk. The atoll is part of the Chuuk State within the FSM. The airport is located on Weno Island.

Only 90 minutes to our final destination left.

The island of Guam, a territory of the United States, is located around 1.000nm east of the Philippines and is therefore the westernmost point of the United States. Guam has a population of about 169.000 people.

Arrived at Antonio B. Won Pat Intl. Airport, which is a hub for United Airlines. There are routes to other islands nearby, Hawaii, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Asian countries.

Flights to such islands are always very exciting and a lot of fun! I can only recommend this route, or even the route from UA154! However, you do need a whole day, but it’s definitely worth it! :)

15 Likes

Awesome shots!

1 Like