Virtual Airlines and Legal Problems.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has had any previous experience setting up a VA and dealt with legal things.Ive read the main post of where it discusses it, but I was wondering what your guys Experience was with it. For example, since I’m setting up a VA would I have to contact the airline I’m representing and ask them for permission or since, on my website, I wrote that I’m not affiliated with them and linked their website that I would be i the clear. Just wondering now so later on I won’t have to shutdown the VA. Thanks for your time, Astor308!

1 Like

Some VA have had legal issues. However usually, if you make sure to acknowledge you aren’t the real airline (if you are replicating a real airline), these can be avoided.

7 Likes

Thank you for the info, just trying to not get into legal trouble down the road

1 Like

Hawaiian Virtual did acknowledge that we weren’t the real airline and we had disclaimers and stuff… We were still contacted and shut down by their legal firm

It might of just been that we didn’t do it correctly?

1 Like

That’s sad to hear. So is it just dependent on the airline/military that you’re simulating.

What do you mean “contacted” just curious what it was like to get that from a real airline…

Some airlines care, some don’t. The only way to see which is to create.

1 Like

Got it, good to know! Thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

There is also the option of contacting the airline and asking permission. Could help avoid any issues.

Hello there! I am the CEO and Founder of United Virtual Airlines. You definitely have to be careful with legal stuff when creating a VA. The previous United Virtual (there was one before mine) was shut down because United threatened to sue them for using their logo. That’s why I had to be careful when making UVA. We had to make our own logo, and specifically disclose that we’re not affiliated with United at all. Basically - be careful. If you are making a VA based off of a real airline, try emailing them. I tried emailing United for permission to use their logo, and they never responded. But maybe you’ll have better luck!

Cheers,

Jake :)

7 Likes

Good to know. I’m trying to make a Va based off of the US Navy, so I’ll email them and see if I can get permission to simulate them. Hopefully I’ll get a response. Thanks to everyone that responded!

4 Likes

They might be a little busy. They shouldn’t care as much…

2 Likes

That’s true lol. I’m just gonna send them one just so I can say I tried if you see where I’m coming from

2 Likes

US Navy might have some issues with trying to figure out what a Virtual Airline is… 😂

8 Likes

Lol. I’m just gonna email them and see if their cool with it.im sure theyre really busy though

Like they said just try and email them and if they are ok with it then do it

1 Like

Couldn’t find their email so I’m just gonna leave my email on the website and if they need to contact me they can. Thanks for the information and have a good day!

1 Like

A good rule of thumb is to ask for permission to use the logo. Simply taking their logo and adding “VA” to it will potentially get you in hot water.

I suggest that somewhere on the site it say that you are not affiliated with the real airline. You need to pretend you are some random person who came across your site. Does it plainly state or convey that you are not the airline.

I know Delta asked for permission and have an approval letter.

8 Likes

I made my own logos for the VA, and yes, on the homepage it says at the bottom in bold letters that the VA isn’t affiliated with the real Navy and I linked their site. It also states the the va isn’t the real navy up top too

I would put that more near the top. It might look more ugly, but then no one will get confused, even if they don’t read the whole page.

1 Like